International Rescue Committee Greece
Job Title: Area Manager, Chios & Samos islands, Greece
Location: Chios and Vathi, Chios and Samos islands, Greece
Start date: June, 2020
Duration: November 2020 with the possibility of extension
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, the IRC Hellas has been working in Greece since June 2015, starting its operations in Lesvos and later expanding them into Northern Greece and Attica. On Chios & Samos, the IRC currently implements a Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support program in Chios & Vathi town where the Mental Health Centers are located. Other programs of IRC in Greece are Employment Integration, Emergency response, SMS in Kara Tepe, Lesvos island, Child Protection and Gender Based Violence.
Scope of work:
The Area Manager is in charge of representation, context analysis, safety & security and day-to-day management of the field teams on both islands. S/He contributes to assessments and proposal development. S/He is based in Vathi in Samos and shares his/her time between Samos and Chios.
Context analysis & representation
- Is aware of the context on the island and looks for updates; informs the country office on local context evolution.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders – including, NGOs, Municipalities and UN agencies, to enhance cooperation and coordination between organizations.
- Participate in working group meetings.
- Represents the organization in HQ’s, donor’s and other visits.
- S/he is the link with the IRC country office
- Work closely with IRC’s advocacy staff to raise advocacy issues
Safety & Security
- Ensure consistent review and updating of security management plans (in coordination with the national security focal point).
- Responsible for safety and security of IRC staff, assets and premises (office and field sites) in coordination with the Safety Focal point in the Country office.
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the program staff and liaises with the program leads
- Participates in the periodic review of programmatic indicators to evaluate progress against the indicators; participate in the M&E reviews.
- Contributes to the strategic direction of IRC Greece programming directions and issues affecting project implementation, or key local issues affecting future grants/projects developments.
- Contributes to the timely submission of donor reports by coordinating with programmatic leads, Grants, Finance and SC departments.
- Ensure that program activities are in line with grants.
- Participates in report writing and in proposal writing relevant to the operation on the island.
Budget, Finance and Operations:
- Liaise closely with Finance Manager to monitor cash flow
- Draft procurement plans with programmatic leads and coordinate with SC to ensure delivery of procurement to programs in a timely manner. Ensure programs place procurement requests in a timely manner to SC
- Contributes to the revision of budget vs. actual reports, approve purchase and payment requests, and manage program spending.
- Ensure that necessary policies, procedures and practices are in place and compliant with IRC, donor and national requirements.
Human Resources Management & Development:
- S/He manages staff along with the program lead.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Contributes to the timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and performance reviews.
- If/as required, identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the employment policies.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on a quarterly basis with all staff and as a part of the annual Performance Review and Planning Process.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures and IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct
- Ensure that all IRC staff understand the IRC Way and comply with IRC’s Standards for Professional Conduct
- Over two year experience working in an NGO in a managerial capacity
- Experience in managing teams;
- Project management experience;
- Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent IRC at forums and with donors;
- Organizational skills;
- Experience and reliability in carrying out safety and security protocols;
- Motivated to work in this context;
- Cultural sensitivity; experience in a multicultural environment is an advantage;
- Fluency in Greek and English;
- Experience in WASH and Protection programming an advantage;
Working Environment: The position will be based 60% on Samos and 40% on Chios.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Due to the urgency of the position IRC reserves the right to conclude the
recruitment at any stage with a qualified candidate prior to the deadline.
[Για να στείλετε το βιογραφικό σας, κάντε κλικ εδώ.]