Job Title: Area Manager, Lesvos, Greece
Location: Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece
Start date: September 2021
Duration: Seven months renewable
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, the IRC Hellas has been working in Greece since June 2015, starting its operations in Lesvos and later expanding them into Northern Greece and Attica. On Lesvos, IRC provides a range of services for the population residing in the Reception & Identification Center on the island. The services include Child Protection, Water, Health & Sanitation, Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Area Manager is the head of the IRC program on Lesvos Island and responsible for overall leadership and supervisory management of the IRC Lesvos Field Office, S/He represents the IRC on the island, monitors the context and s/he is in charge of safety and security and human resources management; monitors programs & budgets, contributes to reports and proposal development relevant to programming on the island. S/He is based in Mytilene and reports to the Director of IRC Greece.
Context analysis & representation
- Is aware of the context on the island and looks for updates; informs the country office on local context developments.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders – including, NGOs, government ministries/authorities and UN agencies, to enhance cooperation and coordination between organizations.
- Contributes in advocacy efforts.
- Participate in working group meetings.
- Represents the organization in HQ’s, donor’s and other visits.
- S/he is the link between the the IRC country office in Athens and Field Office in Mytiline.
Program & grant management
- Oversees and manage the program teams through their managers and senior officers and in cooperation with the Head of Programs and program leads.
- Conduct periodic review of programmatic indicators to evaluate progress against the indicators; participate in grant review meetings.
- Contributes to the strategic direction of IRC Greece programming directions and issues affecting project implementation, or key local issues affecting future grants/projects developments.
- Ensure timely submission of donor reports by coordinating with programmatic leads, Grants, Finance and Supply Chain departments.
- Ensure that program activities are in line with grants.
- Contributes in report writing and in proposal writing relevant to the operation on the island.
Budget, Finance and Operations
- Oversee and manage the Finance, Human Resources and Supply Chain teams in cooperation with their technical supervisors that are based at the country office.
- Oversees budget for programming on Lesvos Island.
- Liaise closely with Finance department to monitor cash flow.
- Supports and monitors procurement plans with programmatic leads and coordinate with the supply chain department to ensure delivery of procurement to programs in a timely manner. Ensure programs place procurement requests in a timely manner to supply chain.
- Carefully review budget vs. actual reports, approve purchase and payment requests, and manage program spending.
- Ensure that necessary policies, procedures and practices are in place and compliant with IRC, donor and national requirements.
Human Resources Management & Development
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and performance reviews.
- If/as required, identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the employment policies.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on a quarterly basis with all staff and as a part of the annual Performance Review and Planning Process.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures and IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct
- Ensure that all IRC staff understand the IRC Way and comply with IRC’s Standards for Professional Conduct
- Respects and promotes DEI (Diversity, Equality, Inclusion) withing his/her team.
Safety & Security
- Responsible for safety and security of IRC staff, assets and premises (office and field sites) in coordination with the Safety Focal point in the Country office.
- Ensure consistent review and updating of security management plans (in coordination with the national security focal point).
- In charge of the implementation of COVID 19 related measures in his/her area of responsibility.
- Experience in a relevant role and relevant responsibilities.
- Professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Positive attitude, and problem solver.
- Organizational and leadership skills.
- Motivated to work in this context.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Fluency in Greek and English.
Working Environment: The position will be based in Mytilene.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
[To send your CV please click here.]