Position: Country Director
Contract type: Full-time position
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Starting date: October 2020
Duration: 1 year
This position is an exciting opportunity to get hands-on experience in a non-profit project management and lead innovative grass-roots activities in the field. The ideal candidate will combine experience in humanitarian aid and management/administration, and be willing to relocate to Greece, Thessaloniki. The candidate must have the legal right to work within the EU and be willing to travel within Greece on a monthly basis.
IsraAID is a leading humanitarian non-governmental organisation, committed to providing life-saving emergency relief and durable solutions for populations affected by natural disasters, epidemics and post-conflict situations. IsraAID’s Emergency Response team arrived in northern Greece and on Lesvos in 2015, providing support in the form of immediate medical care and psychological first aid with an emphasis on self-care skills and coping techniques.
Today, IsraAID is operating a community center in Sindos, offering educational and PSS interventions to almost 500 refugees and asylum seekers residing in the area. As well as a community-based education centre for children outside Moria refugees camp, offering non-formal education and PSS interventions for children.
The CD will lead and supervise the programs in Lesvos and Northern Greece, which will be led on the ground by project managers answering to the CD. The CD will manage, lead, and continue to shape a vision for IsraAID Greece, in line with the organization’s established policies, principles and operating practices, as well as good management of the political, social, cultural & economic environment.
The CD works independently under the supervision of IsraAID’s management, and is responsible for:
- Program development within approved strategy and policy guidelines
- Decision-making at country level in line with approved policy
- The administration of the country budget, all organizational resources and assets
- Management of all country staff (program coordinators and professional staff)
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of IsraAID’s Greece programming strategy in Greece, in line with the overall organizational strategic plan, and deliver methodological and technical support to ensure use of participatory methodologies, human rights and social exclusion frameworks.
- Oversee the dissemination of IsraAID’s Greece mission and core values and principles at the country level and lead, coordinate and mentor the program coordinator and its staff in line with the organizational strategy and philosophy.
- Lead in the development of the area programme providing as per the organisational thematic alignment and programming approach.
- Provide on-going monitoring and support to IsraAID Greece programs and existing projects, coordinate programme reviews, evaluations, and follow up on the implementation of evaluation findings.
Human Resource Management and Staff Development
- Provide leadership support to IsraAID Greece program coordinators and staff and promote best practices in human resources management.
- Maintain effective and appropriate staff work through mentoring the program coordinators on building capacity with their staff, structuring work plans and schedules.
- Provide coaching and mentoring advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
Funding and Grants Management
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in Greece, promote collaboration and actively seek funding opportunities.
- Oversee the production of quality proposals and respond to call for proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate donor visits, donor meetings, discussions and evaluations as necessary.
Financial and Administrative Management
- Ensure that all financial and administrative procedures are in accordance with IsraAID Greece’s established policies and maintain the financial and legal integrity of the organisation.
- Prepare and monitor an annual country budget; supervise dedicated finance and administrative staff to provide guidance on budget management.
- Supervise the progress and financial reports that the program coordinators are preparing as required by the government and IsraAID HQ.
- Ensure the preparation, accuracy and timely submission of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements.
Security and Risk Management
- Be fully accountable at country level for emergency and risk management, keeping abreast of all relevant developments in the country, and maintain regular communication with national and international security institutions.
- Develop and maintain appropriate contingency plans for all kinds of emergencies
- Ensure staff are continuously engaged and aligned with IsraAID’s global vision, mission, values, strategic directions and business plan.
- Actively contribute to IsraAID’s reputation and role as a national, international and regional organisation.
- Maintain regular communication with the IsraAID HQ and other IsraAID branches, as appropriate.
- Promote IsraAID’s organizational identity, culture and capacity to all stakeholders and partners in Greece and ensure IsraAID remains relevant to the changing humanitarian and development needs in the country.
Essential skills, knowledge, and competencies
- At least 2-3 years of experience in an equivalent/senior management position in a development or humanitarian organisation
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing complex multiethnic teams
- Proven ability to work independently in a changing environment
- Practical experience in program design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation, in line with the needs and challenges of donor and contract management and the implications for programme management
- Proven experience in the financial management of project budgets
Required: Professionally fluent in English
To apply for this position, please send a CV and cover letter (no more than 2 pages) to
[To send your CV please click here.]
We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.