Position: Cultural Mediator
Project: MSF Balkan Mission/ Rehabilitation of migrant survivors of torture
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 months (high possibility of extension)
Background of the Project:
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been providing medical and humanitarian assistance to migrants and refugees worldwide. Since October 2014 MSF provides support to migrants and refugees who have suffered torture and other forms of ill-treatment. Our aim is to offer integrated rehabilitation services, including medical care, physiotherapy and psychosocial support. Patients are referred to MSF VOT clinic by other medical/mental health organisations (not a drop-in clinic). Since the beginning of the project, around 900 patients have received comprehensive care in the clinic. During 2021, the project will adjust its mental health approach expending the activity with a community intervention offering PM+ support provided by lay counsellors.
Main Purpose of the Position:
Supporting the communication and interaction between beneficiaries (migrants and refugees) and care providers in the VOT project, through addressing consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural differences and discrimination, following MSF protocols and procedures, to improve access to quality health care and other relevant services and providing MSF with an understanding of local socio-cultural determinants.
- Providing quality and culturally sensitive interpretation between the Medical Doctors, the Psychologists, the Social Workers and other project staff and the patient (trialogue) in his/her mother tongue (source language / target language), Supporting intercultural awareness, sensitiveness and clear communication between the parties
- Assisting care providers and patients in addressing negative consequences of socio-cultural differences, to support the therapeutic/social intervention through sharing with the care providers relevant aspects of the cultural background of the patient, acting as a cultural broker; Identifying and reporting barriers impairing fairness and equality in access to services.
- Perform interpretation/ mediation tasks face-to-face and/or remotely to comply with Covid precaution measures.
- Accompanying and following up beneficiaries to referrals (health and social care facilities) as needed.
- Participating in case management meetings and medical meetings on ad hoc basis.
- Ensuring quality linguistic and intercultural interpretation during the collection of testimonies for advocacy/ communication purposes.
- Supporting administration of assessments/ surveys when needed.
- Transcribing audio interviews recorded in the context of research projects when necessary.
- Translates MSF internal / external documents into local language(s).
- Reporting all important information expressed by the beneficiaries and the communities, ensuring confidentiality at all times.
- Supporting media reviews and content creation for communication.
- Education: Essential secondary education. Desirable degree in social sciences, social communication or teaching. Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset. Valid residence and work permit for Greece essential.
- Experience: Minimum two years’ experience in similar position, preferably in provision of medical services with MSF and/or with NGOs. Previous experience with vulnerable populations and victims of violence is an asset.
- Languages: Fluency in Lingala, French & English and advanced writing skills in all languages. Knowledge of Greek is highly desirable.
- Computer literacy: Essential MS Office knowledge
- Competencies: Commitment to MSF’s principles, Results & Quality orientation, teamwork & cooperation, behavioural flexibility, stress management, cross cultural awareness and sensitivity, strong communication & social skills, capacity to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Private Insurance.
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code "CM" in the subject line of the e-mail at:
[To send your CV please click here.]
Closing date: 13/04/2021
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, beliefs, ability statusand all other diversity characteristics.