TITLE: Cultural Mediator (Arabic)
POSITION CODE: CHIOS/NT/CM
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Greece Refugee Response
LOCATION: Chios, Greece
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed Term 3 months contract
Mother Baby Areas:
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and caregivers intensively because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs.
Save the Children in Greece seeks a Cultural Mediator to support facilitation of communication and understanding, both on linguistic and cultural level, between beneficiaries and Save the Children staff, assistance with referrals and further follow up. In addition, the post holder will be required to support programmatic staff members on language needs as and when required. She may be required to liaise with key partner organisations and other stakeholders and agencies relevant to their sector.
Since August 2015, SC has been responding to the needs of refugee and migrant children in Greece, through Child Protection, Nutrition, provision of basic services and distribution of food and non-food items. The transitory nature of the population previously made the provision of learning opportunities unfeasible. With border closures, children will now remain for longer periods of time in reception sites across the country. Over 50,000 refugees and migrants are currently stranded in Greece, 40% of which are under 18.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Health & Nutrition Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Field Level Support
- Act as a point of contact at the Mother Baby Areas’s (MBA) for beneficiaries (Mainly mothers) with queries
- Together with the Health and Nutrition Team, ensure confidentiality of all information shared is respected at all times
- Stay informed about all services available (on site and in locality for refugees in order to best support beneficiaries with any queries or comments
- Ensure appropriate referrals are made when necessary to the available services such as medical referrals
- Work closely with the MBA staff on site, as well as Health and Nutrition Manager along with other stakeholders on the ground (site managers, cultural mediators etc.)
- Provide translation support to partner volunteers and Save the Children volunteers and staff when required
Support to Technical and Programme Staff
- Provide linguistic support to all SCI managers as and when needed – this may involve inputting and writing documents in the relevant language
- Ensuring consistent messaging between English and relevant language
- Ensuring the language used is culturally appropriate and relevant
- Providing support to programme staff members as and when needed with regards to signage, technical labelling and documents in English and the relevant language
The role holder will need to carry out any other tasks requested by the line manager relevant to this role. They might also be expected to be on call, work on weekends or difficult hours on an ad-hoc or emergency basis.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken) in relevant language
- Good attention to detail and analytical skills
- Understanding and sensitive to the needs of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, including a strong commitment to confidentiality
- Able to be flexible and deal with emotional stress, and to seek support when needed
- Quick to respond to queries and referrals as and when needed and able to manage a varying workload
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer)
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a workload comprised of varying and changing tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in working in multicultural teams
- Experience with NGOs in an international environment
- Experience of working with refugees and migrants
Job Location: The Job location will be in Chios. Relocation support will apply for the selected candidates that will be relocated at those locations.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Deadline for receiving applications is until 29/7/2017.
Please note that due to the emergency response the deadline for applications might expire earlier.
Interested applicants should submit their CV. [To send your CV please click here]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.