Job Title: Cultural Mediator – Farsi/Sorani/Kurmanji
Duty Station: Thessaloniki
Purpose/objective of the position:
As Cultural Mediator the member of staff is co-responsible for the implementation of the CWC Strategy of INTERSOS in Greece. As an expert in 2 or more language groups the person is responsible for both translating where necessary and offering cultural mediation support where necessary. While the duality of the role is challenging INTERSOS sees this role as a key part of mainstreaming community-based responses, engaging beneficiaries and providing culturally sensitive services to the beneficiaries it hosts in languages they can understand.
Program Quality and Specific CM tasks:
- Assist in the implementation of any activity connected to the project at hand where liaison with beneficiaries is concerned
- Commit to the implementation of activities are per scheduling provided by the Cultural Mediators Coordinator
- Translate and mediate between the beneficiaries and other project staff
- Translate and mediate between the beneficiaries and services that INTERSOS accompanies beneficiaries to
- Interpret and assist the distribution of NFIs and the implementation of hygiene promotion activities or any other site/accommodation management related task.
- Assume the duty of protecting confidential information about the beneficiaries to ensure every person’s confidentiality and privacy is respected.
- Support in Communicating with Communities, mobilizing communities and the implementation of feedback mechanisms, representation mechanisms and other initiatives requested by beneficiaries or planned by INTERSOS
- Support any protection related activity as required by the protection response, including case work, protection information delivery, individual counselling etc.
- Support in the registration and welcoming of beneficiaries.
- Provide feedback to and recommendations on interactions with beneficiaries
- Contribute to the creation of information material and the translation of relevant documentation
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Provide regular progress reports to the Cultural Mediator Coordinator and other focal points where required
- To provide on weekly basis the updated requirements to the Cultural Mediator Coordinator
- Perform any other tasks as may be requested or required by the job
- Commitment to humanitarian principles
- Highly flexible
- Excellent communication skills
- Service oriented
- High sense of teamwork
Education and past experience:
- Desirable Trainings in interpretation or intercultural mediation
- Fluency in at least two of the below languages:
- Farsi, Kurmanji, Sorani, or Greek
- Desirable at least 1-year experience in Humanitarian NGO in a similar position
Other requirements: Valid residence and work permit for Greece essential
If you wish to apply for the above mentioned position, please submit your CV
along with a Cover Letter in English at:
[To send your CV please click here.]
All CVs will be evaluated by our HR Department with absolute discretion.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview appointment.