Position: Cultural Mediator (French-Lingala)
Project: MSF Balkan Mission/ Lesvos Projects
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 months (high possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Make the bridge between beneficiaries (people on the move, migrants and refugees communities) and care providers (MSF and/or supported services) in the host country (arrival/transit/destination), with the aim to improve fair and equal access to health care and other relevant services and their quality by addressing potential negative consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural differences, discrimination and tensions and by fostering their removal.
- Ensure quality linguistic and intercultural interpretation during the collection of testimonies for advocacy or communication purposes.
- Ensure accompaniment of beneficiaries in case of referral to legal/protection services when requested.
- Report all important information expressed by the beneficiaries or that have caught attention.
- Support media reviews and content creation for communication.
- Ensure quality interpretation between the care providers and the patient (trialogue) in his/her mother tongue making the words of the care provider understandable to the patient and vice versa (source language/target language) and ensuring intercultural awareness, sensitiveness and communication. The consultation is driven by the care provider.
- Assist care providers (psychologist, doctor, nurse, midwife, case worker, etc.) and patients in addressing potential negative consequences of socio-cultural differences, different visions and knowledge on health provision – such as misunderstanding, fears, misperception, stereotype and prejudices, tensions – with the aim to support the therapeutic intervention.
- Contribute to the provision of quality and cultural sensitive services, facilitating the relation between patients and the care providers involved in medical consultations, mental health sessions (individual and group), physiotherapy sessions, nursing and triage activities, social worker sessions
- Ensure accompaniment of patients in case of referrals to external services – health, administrative, social, legal/protection – and follow-up when requested.
- Participate in case management meetings and medical meetings on ad hoc basis.
- In collaboration with relevant project team members (Field Coordinator, Cutlural Mediator Supervisor, Medical team, Mental Health team, Social Workers, Health Promotion Officers, etc.) provide orientation and information to beneficiaries with regards to the use of health care system, the provision of services (health, shelter, food, legal/protection, etc.) provided by MSF or other actors, the administrative and legal framework, with the aim to favor empowerment and autonomy of beneficiaries in “navigating” the host societies.
- Education: Essential secondary education. Desirable degree in social sciences, social communication or teaching. Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset.
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience in similar position, preferably in provision of medical services and/or with NGOs. Desirable previous experience in migration/refugee contexts.
- Languages: Essential French/Lingala and English. Knowledge in Greek is an asset.
- Competencies: Commitment to MSF’s Principles, Behavioral Flexibility, Stress Management, Results and Quality Orientation, Service Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation.
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address, quoting reference code "CM Lingala" in the subject line of the e-mail:
[To send your CV please click here.]
Closing Date: 17/09/2021
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, beliefs, ability statusand all other diversity characteristics.