Position: Cultural Mediator Supervisor
Project: MSF Balkan Mission/ Lesvos Project
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 months (high possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Contribute to the provision of quality cultural mediation and interpreting services in the project by supervising a team of cultural mediators according to MSF values, standards and procedures in order to foster the removal of linguistic and cultural barriers and improve the access to health care and socio/legal services and their quality.
- Ensuring the day-to-day implementation of assigned Cultural Mediation activities at project level, including (but not limited to) managing dynamics in the trialogue communication between mediator, patient and care provider.
- Preventing and managing possible misunderstandings, communicative blocks and tension, interpreting of PFA, medical topics/glossary, and legal orientation, collecting of testimonies, providing emotional support.
- Supervising the Cultural Mediators in terms of: planning and organizing, data collection and reporting.
- Ensuring that the MSF procedures and protocols are followed by the Cultural Mediators to guarantee the operational quality of the project.
- In close collaboration with the FC/PMR, identifying indicators in order to monitor CM support activities, results, and achievements
- Planning and supervising the HR processes (recruitment, performance evaluation, tasks definition and internal and external communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activity
- Implementing training for all Cultural Mediators in collaboration with the relevant referent/activity managers to ensure all the Cultural Mediators have received the same background training.
- Ensuring proper collaboration, communication and information sharing between the Cultural Mediators and the different activities/departments
- Performing Cultural Mediation activities when required and/or language skills match the needs
- Organising regular meeting in order to coordinated the team
- Education: Essential secondary education. Desirable degree in social sciences, social communication or training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset
- Minimum two years of experience in related position and in migration- /refugee- programs
- Desirable one year experience with MSF
- Experience in working with vulnerable populations and victims of violence is an asset
- Languages: Essential English, desirable (one or more of the following) Greek / French / Farsi / Arabic
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential, Word and Excel
- Teamwork, intercultural sensitivity, flexibility are essential
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
This is a local opening but all candidates interested in the position and willing to work on Lesvos are welcomed to apply. In that case it should be noted that MSF will not offer any relocation benefits.
Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address,
quoting reference code "Cultural Mediator Supervisor" in the subject line of the e-mail:
[To send your CV please click here.]
Closing Date: 24/11/2019
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.