Title: Environmental Health Coordinator
Deployment Type: Full time
Location: Mytilene, Lesvos
Start date: ASAP
Duration: 3 months will possibility for extension
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in Greece since June 2015 on the island of Lesvos. The IRC is currently expanding operations to the Olive Groves around Moria RIC in Lesvos
SCOPE OF WORK:
In the current phase of programming, the EH Coordinator will be responsible for supporting IRC’s Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) response for the refugee and migrant influx in the Olive Groves surrounding Moria RIC, in Lesvos, Greece and any other response that may come up on Lesvos island. She/ He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the water and sanitation program and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs. The EH Coordinator will have the responsibility for program implementation, quality assurance, monitoring, and will adhere to health and safety regulations for technical issues, foster coordination with other partners, and report for WASH emergency activities. The EH Coordinator will ensure the consistency, quality, efficiency, and accountability of WASH activities implemented in the Olive Groves area around the Moria RIC or any other place in Lesvos.
Overall the EH Coordinator will be responsible to assess the EH needs of Moria and potentially other islands and adapt the intervention proposed by IRC Greece based on technical standards and experience and lead the start of the implementation. He /she will be responsible for monitoring the daily technical WASH components of the project in close coordination and collaboration of two EH officers.
Keys tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct rapid assessments as needed to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs of the target areas; this will also include evaluation of ongoing technical interventions and make recommendations as needed;
- Adapt the intervention proposed by IRC Greece based on technical standards and experience and lead the start of the implementation;
- In coordination with the Country Director and Field Coordinator in Lesvos, work with contacts with relevant international/local NGOs municipal authorities and line ministries in the areas of operation to ensure works undertaken are in conjunction witevvh and approval of the authorities;
- Ensure that all IRC projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators established by SPHERE, IRC, Greek Law and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs;
- Hold technical responsibility/oversight for the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in OG.
- Hold technical responsibility/oversight for the monitoring of the respective contractor who will undertake the desludging of the septic water tanks in Olive Groves.
- Hold technical responsibility/oversight for the monitoring of the collection of the garbage of various areas of the Olive Groves around Moria RIC by the cleaning contractor.
- Design and ensure that appropriate hygiene promotion activities are implemented by the refugee community residing in the Olive Groves.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work;
- Monitor budgets, materials, equipment and supplies for technical work;
- Coordinate with other actors on the ground;
- Comply with IRC’s security protocols;
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records of progress and contract payment schedules;
Human Resources Management
- Lead recruitment as needed and train and supervise new staff members.
- Manage, technically supervise and develop all EH staff on Lesvos.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Provide technical support for EH staff in Lesvos
- Overall responsibility for EH work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
Grant Monitoring & Partner Management
- Manage and advise partners implementing programs on behalf of and in partnership with the IRC.
- Cooperate with grants team for grant reviews, PEERS, proposals.
- Assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
- Actively contribute to proposal writing and strategy development
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- University degree in public health civil/environmental engineering or related field;
- Minimum 5 years professional technical experience in Environmental Health, roads, structures and/or water delivery/production;
- Overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting is considered a plus
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Experience working with partners including capacity building and training.
- Proven technical writing skills;
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience;
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Greek. Arabic or Farsi language skills are a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge on various Greek environmental, hygiene and sanitation policy, stands, Sphere guidelines, etc.
[To send your CV please click here.]