Title: Environmental Health Officer
Location: Mytilene, Lesvos
Reports To: Emergency EH Coordinator
Department: Environmental Health
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in Lesvos since June 2015. The IRC is currently expanding operations to the Olive Groves around Moria RIC in Lesvos
The Environmental Health (EH) Officer is responsible for supporting IRC’s Environmental Health response for the asylum seeking population residing in the Olive Groves surrounding Moria RIC, in Lesvos, Greece. The EH Officer will have the responsibility for program implementation, quality assurance, monitoring, and will adhere to health and safety regulations for technical issues, foster coordination with other partners, and report for EH emergency activities. The EH Officer in collaboration with the Emergency EH Coordinator, will ensure the consistency, quality, efficiency, and accountability of EH activities implemented in the Olive Groves area around the Moria RIC.
Overall the EH Officer will be responsible for monitoring the daily technical EH components of the project in close coordination and collaboration of the Emergency EH Manager who will be their supervisor. EH Officer will also monitor and conduct hygiene promotion activities as well with the refugee community in collaboration with other NGOs operating in the same areas.
Keys tasks and responsibilities:
- The EH Officer will be monitoring the respective contractor who will undertake the desludging of the septic water tanks of the two EH blocks in Olive Groves, that will be installed close to Moria RIC.
- The EH Officer will also be monitoring the collection of the garbage of various areas of the Olive Groves around Moria RIC by the cleaning contractor.
- Design and ensure that appropriate hygiene promotion activities are implemented by the refugee community residing in the Olive Groves. This will include scheduling, planning, implementing and monitoring all hygiene promotion activities.
- Train staff and partners on hygiene promotion and awareness practices and monitor and support their actions.
- Mobilizecommunities and individuals of different age groups to identify priority public health issues, hygiene promotion activities and take the appropriate actions to address them using IRCs Standard Operating Procedures.
- Enhance communication and contact with communities by engaging with community members to discuss action plans, mobilize community participation and, through this, to act as a mentor throughout the implementation process.
- Work with non-EH program of other NGOs operating in and around Moria RIC to provide consistent community messaging and information about IRC services.
- Collect, compile and submit all monitoring and evaluation data required to document project activities, and material and stock needs.
- Ensure the basic standards of sanitation and hygiene promotion are maintained or exceeded with all target beneficiaries including the appropriate use of SPHERE standards and other internationally recognized protocols.
- Provide reports as required by the Emergency EH Coordinator/Senior Area Manager
- Work in shifts 9:00 to 17:00 from Monday to Sunday.
- Comply with IRC’s security protocols at all times
- Carry out EH activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct and humanitarian principles.
- Encourage the participation of community members including refugees and migrants as appropriate throughout the program.
- Maintain confidentiality
- While in transit sites, all IRC staff must wear appropriate IRC visibilit If deemed appropriate by security condition.
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns.
- Plan an agenda regarding all the EH activities.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in EH programming
- Experience in community mobilization
- Demonstrated experience with an array of qualities including managing issues and solution based approach
- Strong coordination, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge on various Greek environmental, hygiene and sanitation policy, stands, Sphere guidelines, etc.
- Experience with capacity building
- Flexibility to work with changing demands in a volatile environment.
- Strong cross cultural skills and experience working in multicultural environments.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community.
- Trust and wide acceptance by the community.
- Oral and written fluency in Greek and English. Knowledge of Farsi or Arabic or French is an asset.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
[To send your CV please click here]