Position Title: Environmental Health (WASH) Outreach Assistant with Dari/Farsi Language skills
Location: Lesvos, Greece
Reports To: Senior EH Officer
Department: Environmental Health
Length of Assignment: ASAP – December 31st 2019 (with possibility of extension)
The position is undertaken and fulfilled by IRC and is exclusively funded by third bodies with predetermined duration to materialize a specific program.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in Lesvos since June 2015.
As part of the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) intervention, the Outreach Assistant with language skills will be supporting the implementation of mobilization activities in Kara Tepe refugee camp. The role is integrated into IRCs programming activities in the region.
Key tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with the host refugee populations in the camps, municipality workers and other organisations to promote safe WASH practices in line with the WASH strategy.
- Ensure that the communities are continuously involved and kept up‐to‐date about project activities and developments.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, distribution, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Participate in distribution activities, both routine and emergency, as required in Lesvos.
- Mobilize communities and individuals of different age groups to identify priority public health issues, hygiene promotion activities and take the appropriate actions to address them using IRCs Standard Operating Procedures.
- Enhance communication and contact with communities by engaging with community members to discuss action plans, mobilize community participation and, through this, to act as a mentor throughout the planning and implementation processes.
- Work with non-WASH programs to provide consistent community messaging and information about IRC services.
- Work through the distribution kiosk and ensure that these areas are continually stocked and supported.
- Work with the Senior EH Officer to collect, compile and submit all monitoring and evaluation data required to document project activities,and material and stock needs.
- Carry out Hygiene Promotion activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles
- Mobilize community members throughout the programme
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
Selection Criteria and Skills:
- Language speakers only (Dari/Farsi)
- Language speakers will require either Greek or English skills
- Other languages can be considered a plus
- Some prior knowledge of health, hygiene, teaching, or community development
- Affinity with and basic understanding of working with refugees
- Openness and willingness to work with people from different backgrounds
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community
- Excellent social, communication and listening skills
- Numeracy, and record keeping skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- All Community Mobilisers are required to adhere to The IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct every day – in the site and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality
- While in transit sites, all IRC staff must wear appropriate IRC visibility.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
[To send your CV please click here.]