Terre des hommes is seeking expression of interest from qualified and committed individuals:
Name of the position: FabLab Project Manager
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Contract Type: National/Definite type
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Activity rate: 100% (full time)
Deadline Applications: 19th June 2018
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. With offices in 30 countries around the globe, Tdh delivers assistance to three million children each year.
In Greece, since 2016, Tdh has been providing an integrated child protection response ensuring access of asylum seeking refugee children and youth to safe, dignified care solutions through case management, protective accommodation, legal assistance, mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), and life skills.
Tdh is working with the Greek civil society in order to strengthen and support the social services and safety nets that prevent children becoming vulnerable.
For further information, please visit our website www.tdh.ch/en and www.facebook.com/tdh.greece/
General Project Description:
Asylum seekers contine to arrive in Greece and are spending extended periods of time in camps and temporary accommodation before decisions are made on their status. Educational and recreational opportunities are limited for those over the age of 15 years. Simultaneoulsy, refugees and asylum seekers are at risk of developing mental health problems, or being lured into exploitative practices due to their situation.
Afablab (fabrication laboratory) is a small-scale workshopoffering (personal) digital fabrication. The FabLab in Mikri Polis Community Centre, was established in Ioannina in early 2017 in collaboration with the Global Humanitarian Lab (GHL) and forms part of the larger network of FabLabs. The objectives of its establishment were to provide users with an opportunity to learn and continue developing themselves. It also aimed to provide them with an outlet for their creativity, develop problem-solving skills and improve confidence and independence. Overall this forms part of the wider Tdh Greece strategy which aims to support the social and economic inclusion of refugees and asylum seekers in Greece.
General Position Description:
The role of the FabLab Project Manager is to facilitate and supervise day to day activities in the FabLab, develop programme activities and contribute to the development of a national and global programme strategy.
Specifically, the FabLab Project Manager is responsible for:
- Ensuring health and safety standards are in place and followed in the FabLab
- Facilitating activities and supporting users with personal and group projects
- Organising events and activities such as trainings and open days
- Collecting feedback from users and contributing to the development of Tdh programme strategy
- Developing and implementing the project in line with Tdh’s overall strategy
- Coordination and networking with other FabLabs
Strategy and Vision:
- Participate in or support needs assessments in Tdh areas of operation in-country
- Participate in designing project strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries
- Support the development of new project proposals
- Be responsible for the development of activities and animation of the FabLab, including the organization of trainings and specialized workshops
- Guide users on how to operate software and machinery (e.g. 3D printer, laser cutter, computers, etc)
- Be in charge of safety in the FabLab
- Inspire/help people make and design their projects
- Ensure FabLab equipment is well maintained
- Promote inclusion and equal access to every child, paying particular attention to vulnerable children, like children with disabilities, unaccompanied children, etc., as well as to gender mainstreaming and inclusion of women and girls in the space
- Prepare weekly activity schedule, keep record of newly registered participants, fill participants daily’s attendance lists, reports as required by the line manager and ensure accuracy and timely submission
- Ensure the project is implemented according to project work plans, objectives, indicators and budgets
- Based on changes in context and / or project learning, propose amendments to the project or programme activities and/or strategy when necessary
- Ensure an adequate monitoring and evaluation plan is in place and work with the M&E department to ensure implementation. In particular, ensuring appropriate complaints response mechanisms and data collection systems are in place and followed by his/her team to track, analyse and report on results
- Be responsible for the inventory, order and budget of materials, supplies and spare parts needed for the FabLab
- Adhere to and ensure that Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures are followed
Coordination and representation:
- Seek for synergies with other actors present on the ground to optimize resources and time and strengthening access to services and learning opportunities for the beneficiaries whenever possible
- Coordinate with other Tdh sectors – especially with the Community Center Officer- and departments to ensure the effective, efficient and harmonised implementation of programme activities.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships, with other actors, donors, local government and other stakeholders to effectively and efficiently implement activities.
- Participate in fora and meetings at local or regional level and liaise with humanitarian actors, authorities and other sector to disseminate information, best practices, lessons learned, etc. when required.
- Increase Tdh visibility in terms of CP and education in Greece
- Comply with the Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding standards throughout the organization and with partners
- Comply with all operational risk management policies: Whistle Blowing Policy, Anti Fraud and Corruption Policy as well as with the Security Plan of the organization
- Adhere to and enforce Tdh administrative regulations and procedures as well as Tdh IT and driving policies and SoPs
- Guarantee that project donor’s procedures are respected and alert internally in case of need
- Travelling is required
- Perform other duties as required
- University degree in IT Sciences or relevant field
- Specialization in digital fabrication will be an advantage
- Fab Academy diploma will be an advantage
- 1 year experience in a similar position or experience in similar working environment
- Ability to design and lead activities for young & teenagers users
- Knowledge of international humanitarian response and development work
- Ability to work in an inter cultural environment
- Good knowledge of programming, electronics, 2D+3D modeling software and CAD/CAM
- Advanced IT knowledge (Microsoft Office, Internet)
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent writing, reporting, and communication skills
- Fluent Greek and English (oral, and written)
- Knowledge of Arabic, Farsi is an asset
- Non Greek candidates when applying must have valid legal documentation to be employed in Greece
- Fulfilled Military Obligations (male candidates)
- Valid driving license
Terre des hommes provides equal work conditions for men and women.
Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions
with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
If you are interested in this position,
please send your CV and motivation letter in English
with reference code IOA_FabLab/016 at:
[To send your CV please click here]
Tdh will only consider complete online applications.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted and
the interview will be conducted in Greek/English.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed
on a regular basis and we may offer the post before the closing date.