JOB TITLE: Farsi Interpreter/Cultural Mediator
LOCATION: Lesvos island
FULLTIME/PARTIME: Full Time
DURATION: until 31st of December 2021
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. In response to the arrival of refugees in Greece in 2015, the IRC has been offering SMS, WASH, Livelihoods and Protection services to children, women and people in need of mental health support. IRC Hellas currently has offices in Athens and on Lesvos, Chios and Samos.
SCOPE OF WORK:
In response to the recent fire and destruction of the Μoria RIC on Lesvos island, the IRC has started the implementation of a child protection program in the newly set-up Mavrovouni RIC in Lesvos. The child protection team is conducting outreach to identify vulnerable children and families and is offering individual case management support, as well as psychological counselling. The IRC will further set up safe spaces for children (SSC) of all ages, as well as a mother baby corner (MBC) for mothers of babies. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Child Protection Senior Officer (for the SSC and MBC) , the Interpreters/ Cultural Mediators will provide support services in communication, interpretation and translation, during outreach, individual and group sessions and during the activities with the children and mothers.
Reporting lines: The Interpreter reports to the Child Protection Senior Officer and works closely with social workers, child psychologists and other IRC colleagues and partner organizations.
- Assist with interpretation and when applicable, cultural mediation, in communication with IRC staff, national staff, beneficiaries and/ or any other relevant parties;
- Assist with interpretation, during the individual or group sessions to vulnerable children and their families;
- Assist with interpretation during psychosocial support and recreational activities with children and mothers/caregivers;
- Ensure activities are safe for children and mothers/caregivers and are culturally appropriate. Discuss any issues immediately with the supervisor;
- Support IRC in ensuring that activities are accepted by the community members;
- Assist in the facilitation of activities with children and mothers/caregivers, when needed;
- Assist the child protection caseworkers and child psychologists in the collection of relevant information and data of children and families;
- Assist the child protection case workers and child psychologists in outreach, planning and conducting visits at sites;
- Translate from English/Greek into the mother language necessary materials or written information, as required;
- Complete the weekly report and any other reporting and monitoring tool, as required;
- Conduct other duties as the needs arise.
All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Translations, social sciences, or equivalent combination of education and work in interpretation;
- Proven experience in interpretation/ cultural mediation, during sessions and activities with children;
- Experience in facilitating activities with children and caregivers will be an asset;
- Certification in cultural mediation is considered as an advantage;
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken) in mother language, English and/or Greek and ability to translate into English and/ or Greek and vice versa;
- Strong sense of personal integrity;
- Understanding and sensitivity to the needs of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures;
- Candidates must be able to adapt to a changing context, feel comfortable working in unstable and often insecure environments;
- Computer skills: Knowledge of MS Office, Internet, Outlook and competency with new technologies required.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Travel and other requirements: The position requires constant local travel on Lesvos to/from various locations, including official and unofficial camps, sites and other areas of program operation.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
[To send your CV please click here]