Title: Finance and Logistics Assistant
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece (occasional trips to Athens might be required)
Expected Start Date: early February
Type of Contract: Fixed term contract (first contract for 1 month, renewable)
Application Deadline: 23rd January, 2020
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization with 190 member National Societies. Our work is guided by seven fundamental principles -humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality- and by Strategy 2020, which voices our collective vision and determination to move forward in tackling the major challenges that confront humanity in the present decade. We act before, during and after disasters and health emergencies to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
Since May 2015 the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies along with the Hellenic Red Cross have worked with local communities on the frontline of the migration response to provide relief and assistance to people seeking safety in Europe. Assistance included primary health care, hygiene promotion, food and relief distribution, first aid, psychosocial support, Restoring Family Links and cash assistance. Since the beginning of 2018 the operation focuses on social inclusion through cash distribution, basic health care, accompanied referrals, case management and integration activities.
The Finance and Logistics Assistant will provide technical financial and logistics support to the IFRC team in Greece and its programs, according to line manager’s guidance and IFRC procedures.
Job duties and responsibilities
General Finance duties
- Initiate bank payments on the Citi Bank Portal or any bank account nominated for Greece Delegation and prepare monthly bank reconciliation.
- Prepare payment authorizations for goods and services purchased according to IFRC procedures.
- Check payment authorizations and supporting documents submitted by other requesters and ensure validity of approvals.
- Follow-up suppliers’ balances on a proactive mode, inquiry for invoices and/or missing payments.
- Monitoring of cost efficiency of utility bills and reconciliations of important suppliers.
- Follow-up monetary needs of the project in order to ensure timely cash transfer. Preparation of petty cash payments/ refunds and of monthly cash reconciliation.
- Establish and maintain finance filing systems as appropriate (scanning of the entries, labelling folders, archiving).
- Be the first level of budget monitoring for the project expenses.
- Prepare financial reports when requested.
- CODA entries for working advance of National Staff, Delegates and National Society and all category of entries needed for adjustments and/or commitments.
- Booking SPI after validation and approval of Budget Holder and/or Programme Coordinator and Finance Management.
- Post into CODA In-tray the transactions processed at Bank (PBN, RBN).
- Matching invoices of suppliers versus payments in CODA at monthly closing time.
Procurement and Asset Management
- Facilitate local procurement of goods and services following Federation standard practices and ensuring documentation complies with full audit trail standards and provide advice on local sourcing of goods and services required.
- Enter data and maintain the procurement database for Office, regularly updating it and providing accurate and timely reports when required.
- Maintain inventory lists for all assets such as office equipment, mobiles, laptops, etc. for Thessaloniki as well as for Athens office. Ensure good management of assets.
- Procurement of office supplies (stationary, cleaning items, kitchen supplies, etc).
- Manage and monitor the contract with the vehicle provider company, ensuring that the operational needs of programs are met in a cost-effective manner and in accordance with IFRC standards and procedures.
- Supervise and monitor all vehicles and drivers in their daily duties (daily vehicle inspections, preventative maintenance reporting, Logbooks, fuel consumption, cleaning of vehicles, etc.).
Office management and general tasks
- Draft contracts in the E-contracts system as per IFRC procedures.
- Assist in premises search, follow-up, payment of rents, communication with landlords, inventories for new houses, etc.
- Assist in the maintenance of the office premises respecting the clauses of the lease agreements.
- Preparation of requisitions and global payment authorisations including rents, utilities and common costs.
- Assist the HR and Administration assistant in Thessaloniki and also the Senior Finance Officer in Athens whenever on leaves or in case of high workload.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Duties Applicable to All Staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the needed goals of the organization
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross/Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Education and Experience
- University degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent
- At least two years’ experience in Finance and general administration
- Experience in Logistics, procurement, asset management
- Experience within the Red Cross Movement or other humanitarian organization will be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent computer skills (accounting systems, Microsoft Office)
- Exceptional organizational ability with an eye for detail
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work within a team, excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Open to learning
- Fluently spoken and written English and Greek
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French or Arabic) will be an asset
- Respect for diversity, Accountability, Collaboration and Teamwork, Flexibility and Adaptability
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a CV and a Cover Letter in English
by the 23rd of January to the following e-mail address:
[To send your CV please click here.]
mentioning the Position Title in the subject of the e-mail.
Please note that this is a National Position.
Kindly note that applications will be processed as they come and the position maybe filled before the deadline
Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
All CVs will be treated with strict confidentiality.