Title: Generator Assistant
Location: Greece, Lesvos Island
Start Date: ASAP
Part Time: 20 hours per week
Salary Band: 10c
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in Lesvos since June 2015, currently providing support to Middle East and North Africa refugees.
Scope of work:
The generator assistant will work on a part-time basis, individually and with the SMS team as well as with other actors present on site if needed. She/he will part of a team of a group of generator assistants that will work on a rotating shift schedule at Kara Tepe a transit refugee site located just outside the town of Mytilene. Kara Tepe acts as a transit site, where refugees coming from Moria stay for some time before transferred to the mainland. Supervised by the SMS Senior Officer, the assistant will be important member of the project team and will be in charge to ensure that the newly installed generators in Kara Tepe are functioning properly and safely.
- Adhere to the schedule for the operation of the generators provided by the SMS Senior Officer or other appointed focal point.
- Operate the generators according to aforementioned schedule.
- Ensure that the two control rooms of each generator and the different substations found across site are connected to the generators during the operating hours to allow for electricity to flow.
- Ensure that all safety standards are followed accordingly (generators need to be locked at all times unless there is need to remain open, fenced area around the generators is locked, safe storage of respective key sets, ensuring no beneficiaries access the fenced area).
- Timely and concise daily reporting to the SMS Senior Officer or the appointed focal point.
- Immediate reporting of any safety incident or concern to the SMS Senior Officer or appointed focal point.
- Close monitoring and reporting on a daily basis the fuel consumption, the hours of the operation of the generators as well as the fuel levels.
- Coordinate with fuel supplier on each fuel delivery to the site. Ensure that all relevant documentation is completed rightly and shared in a timely manner with the SMS Senior Officer or appointed focal point.
- Keep track of the cumulative operating hours of the generators and inform the SMS Senior Officer in a timely manner about the right time for the service to be conducted as per the guidelines of the generators contractor.
- Coordinate with SMS & WASH team and if needed with other relevant actors on site regarding potential maintenance needs of A/Cs. If maintenance needed ensure good coordination amongst the relevant teams/actors in collaboration with the SMS Senior Officer or appointed focal points.
This position reports to: This position reports to the SMS Senior Officer.
- Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program implementation
- Insure that only allowed individuals access the fenced area of the generators
- Promptly identify and recommend solutions to issues relevant to the operation of the generators, fuel consumption and distribution monitoring etc
- Support other IRC staff operating on site if needed
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Driver’s license (motorbike/car)
- Own means of transportation to get to work location (compensation will be provided)
- Proven abilities to work with host and IDP / refugee communities
- NGO experience preferred
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork but also able to work on a single unit basis if needed, detail oriented, honest, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Fluency in English and/or Greek preferred required. Knowledge of Arabic/Farsi/French is an asset
- Handy man skills appreciated
- Understanding of machines/generators operation will be considered a plus
This position will be part of a team working on a welcome site for refugees and will liaise closely with all local and international actors working within the area. The candidate must be prepared to work in what may be adverse weather conditions or stressful environments.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
[To send your CV please click here.]