Job Title: Handyman- North Lesvos
Type of contract:Fixed Term
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in Lesvos since June 2015, currently providing support to Middle East and North Africa refugees.
To respond to the increasing needs in North Lesvos, in Megala Therma site, the IRC is looking for a Hygiene Promoter-Handyman.
- Follow up with minor maintenance activities in Megala Therma, such as general maintenance, replacing tents and small technical repairs/maintenance on site regarding electrical and plumping issues .
- Coordinate with EH Officer of the team regarding materials needed for maintenance works.
- Work in partnership with the host refugee populations in the camp, aid workers and authorities to promote safe WASH practices in line with the WASH strategy with a focus on COVID-19 key messages.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting for site level activities to EH officer.
- Be the focal point of IRC for Megala Therma and coordinate with UNHCR regarding maintenance works needed to be undertaken by IRC
- Monitoring of the solid waste management of the site
- Monitoring of the disinfection services from the contractor of the tents.
- Supporting the hygiene promoter to the activities
Reports to: This position reports to the EH officer.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Work with the EH Officer to collect, compile and submit all monitoring and evaluation data required to document project activities, and material and stock needs
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns
- 3 years professional experience as a handyman.
- Basic plumbing/electric maintenance skills
- Ability to work with hardware tools and power equipment
- INGO experience preferred
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, detail oriented, dynamic, results – oriented, flexible, and able to handle pressure well.
- Fluency in English and Greek required
- Means of transportation
- Openness and willingness to work with people from different backgrounds
- Excellent social, communication and listening skills
- Numeracy, and record keeping skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
The candidate must be prepared to spend extended working hours in open environment, exposure to weather elements as well as stressful environments.
Working schedule: part time work schedule
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conductand the IRC country employment policies
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct every day – in the site and in the community
- Maintain confidentiality
- While in transit sites, all IRC staff must wear appropriate IRC visibility
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
[Για να στείλετε το βιογραφικό σας, κάντε κλικ εδώ.]