Position Title: ICT Teacher
Supervised by: Education Team Leader
Reporting to: Education Team Leader
Duty Station: Larissa/ Central Greece
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its office in Larissa (Central Greece) as a Teacher. Under the day-to-day supervision of the Education Team Leader and with the technical guidance from Education Coordinator, the Teacher will be responsible for implementation of the Education programme for migrant and refugee children, youth and adults accommodated in emergency reception site(s) in Larissa region. The Teacher will ensure that all education activities are high quality, age appropriate, in line with children, youth and adult needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Implement non-formal education ICT activities for school age children (6 to 15), adolescents and youth (16-18) as well as adults (18+)
- Plan and adopt various educational activities based on age, knowledge and individual needs of children, adolescents, youth and adults
- Form educational groups and develop schedule making sure it is in line with needs of site population, children, youth, adults and in agreement with the relevant authorities and site management
- Contribute on the development of educational material based on identified learner’s needs
- Develop daily lesson plans divided by classes
- Ensure that data (attendance lists) is accurately collected on a weekly and monthly basis divided by age and gender
- Monitor and record students’ attendance and progression and communicate with the line manager
- Plan and coordinate distribution of teaching and learning material including stationery and school kits
- Provide information and advice beneficiaries on existing educational program
- Collaboration with DRC cultural mediators and other staff members, in order to design and implement relevant education activities as well as life skills projects
- Attend and participate in assigned meetings, activities and staff trainings
- Plan and implement effective classroom management practices to develop self-responsible/independent learners and to build students’ ability to work collaboratively with others
- Promote empathy, compassion and respect for the gender, ethnic, religious, cultural and learning diversity of students
- Protect and maintain safety of ICT training classroom
- Contributing to the reinforcement of existing communication with persons of concern throughout DRC units and promoting the right to education for all children
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Provide ICT related service/assistance whenever needed
- Maintain effective communication with other actors
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Education Team Leader relevant to the achievement of Education objectives
- University degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or related field required
- At least two years of experience in education and teaching. Prior teaching experience with non-Greek speaking children and adolescents is an asset
- Prior ICT experience in a setup with environmental and geographical constraints will be considered as a strong advantage
- Experience from working as an ICT Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills are required
- Effective classroom management skills
- High professional ethics
- Proficiency in MS Windows and MS Office, Database Management Systems
- Ability to work with children of different cultural background, different language and special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others.
- Ability to multitask and cope with multiple demands under tight deadlines.
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and establish priorities.
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills are must, and a good sense of humor
Terms and Conditions:
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Larisa (Central Greece)and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: [To send your CV please click here]. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 25th of October 2019.
Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate
who matches the required profile before the above deadline.