The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), a neutral and independent humanitarian
- has a vacancy at its Mission in Lesbos for a resident full time position of Interpreter (Farsi/Dari)
The Interpreter/translator contributes to the implementation of the Protection objectives of the ICRC Mission in Greece. As part of a team, he/she carries out visits to places of detention and closed facilities hosting migrants/refugees. He/she also provides translation and interpreting services to support activities related to the Reestablishment of Family Links and Forensic programs, mainly through the phone or through pre-arranged face-to-face interviews. The Interpreter/translator also supports the team in its interactions with migrants in the framework of the Community-Based Protection intervention.
In his/her support to the Protection team, the Interpreter/translator will:
- Support and facilitate the realization of protection activities in favour of migrants staying in Lesvos.
- Assist delegates and/or prepares detention visits; interprets for, or independently carries out, interviews with people deprived of freedom; maintains contact with detainees' families; follows up on oral messages; responds to requests and compiles additional allegations.
- Interpret during interviews with migrants in Greece, through the phone or during pre-arranged face-to-face interviews.
- Translate documents or materials related to the Protection activities of ICRC Lesvos Mission.
- Fluent (speaking, reading, writing) in Farsi/Dari and English
- Knowledge of Urdu, Pashto, Arabic, Greek is an asset
- 2 years of experience in the field of expertise of the ICRC (migration, detention, protection)
- Motivation for and commitment to humanitarian work
- University degree or professional diploma is an asset
- Ability to translate through the phone
- Professional translation/Interpretation capacity is considered an asset
- Good computer skills
- Available for frequent travels in Greece
What we propose:
- 6 months contract with high possibility of extension.
- Ideal Starting date: January 2020
- Salary according to ICRC policy in Greece and previous experience (on 14 months basis)
- Health insurance covered according to ICRC policy
- Participation to lunch tickets
- An opportunity to practice your professional skills in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
The ICRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women.
Please note that this vacancy is open only to nationals of Greece and to nationals of other countries with permission to work in Greece.
Please send your application (CV + Letter of motivation) in English quoting reference code PSS in the subject line of the e-mail
[To send your CV please click here]
Application Deadline: 20.11.2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.