Job Position Title: MHPSS Interpreter Farsi/Dari
Department: Mental Health and Psychosocial support (MHPSS)
Duty Location: Field Position, Chios
Length of Initial Contract: May 2021, with likelihood of extension
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in different parts of Greece since June 2015, currently providing support to refugees from different backgrounds.
Job Overview/Summary: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader interpreter and the MHPSS Manager, the Interpreter provides support services on communication and documentation issues.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- To interpret during individual and group counselling sessions, as well as psycho-education activities. Interpretation for the individual sessions can also be provided remotely (phone or online).
- Assist in communication between IRC staff, other staff, beneficiaries and/ or any other relevant parties
- Assist in documentation and referrals
- Assist in collection of information and case identification, as well as outreach
- Assist in planning and conducting visits at sites (refugee camps, urban settings and any other place where the team is operating)
- Support MHPSS activities wherever they take place
- Conducting administrative duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Interpretation, social sciences, or equivalent combination of education and work experience in an English-speaking context.
- Experience working at international development programs highly desirable
- Experience in translation/ interpretation services
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken) in Farsi and Dari and ability to interpret into English/Greek and vice versa
- Understanding and sensitivity to the needs of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Experience of working with refugees and vulnerable groups of people and especially people with mental health concerns is an asset
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability and composure to deal with crises and stressful incidents
- Responsiveness to queries and referrals as and when needed and able to manage a varying workload
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Flexibility, openness to others, patience, empathy, humanitarian motivation
- Experience of providing interpretation in MHPSS programs is an asset
- Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset
- Ability to interpret via phone
- Fluency in Greek or English
- All IRC employees are required to adhere to The IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct every day – in the site and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality
- While in IRC sites, all IRC staff must wear appropriate IRC visibility.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
[To send your CV please click here.]