Position: Medical Doctor – General practitioner (GP)
Organisation: MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF)
Project: MSF Europe Migrations
Starting Date: Immediate
Duration: 6 months (possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centres (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, beliefs, and ability statusand all other diversity characteristics.
The medical doctor (GP) will be supporting the team mainly for outreach activities and provide general consultations for the migrant and refugee population in and around Athens and Attica province. The consultations will be done in a mobile setting; either in the various camps and/or in the street/community centres/mosques. The responsibilities of the medical doctor include consulting patients, prescribe treatment according to the MSF guidelines, ensure the referral of patients when necessary and ensuring quality of care is in place.
Main Responsibilities of the Position:
- The focus is on general first line consultations provided in mobile activities.
- The medical doctor will be working during outreach in a multidisciplinary team with cultural mediators, health promotors, midwives, nurses, and counsellors. Close working relationships will be necessary with the (para)medical team in the Day Care Center in Athens, which includes a department for sexual and reproductive health, a mental health team, a social and legal team and a chronic disease department.
- The medical doctor will be working closely with the Medical Activity Manager (MAM) / Project Medical Referent (PMR) on field level and Medical Coordinator on Coordination level to ensure quality medical care.
- The medical doctor will ensure the use of MSF clinical guidelines and provide correct treatment in accordance.
- The medical doctor will work closely with the MAM / PMR and Data Operator to ensure high-quality data collection for an active and accurate monitoring of the activity.
- The medical doctor will compose a monthly report on the outreach activity based on the data from DHIS2 and other data collection tools.
- Take part and lead case discussions with the medical team for co/managed patients with the other departments.
- Identify and respond to training needs for the medical team if needed.
- In collaboration with the MAM / PMR, adapt the strategy for the outreach activity according to the needs and human resources.
- In collaboration with the MAM / PMR analyse the rationality for the referrals (including for lab tests, referrals to specialists and emergency care) done in the first line consultations.
- Monitor the outreach pharmacy: availability of the relevant drugs and medical material, ensure proper inventory to guarantee proper supply in close collaboration with the nurses, Supply Officer and Pharmacy-Stock keeper.
- Identify new needs in terms of drugs and medical equipment’s in line with pathologies met in his/her medical practice and report them to MAM / PMR.
- Ensuring teamwork and a professional relationship between the outreach team and other departments.
- Assist in emergency situations.
- Education: Essential Medical Doctor Diploma and licence to practice in Greece; possibility for electronic prescriptions is an asset. No specialization is required.
- Experience: 1-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work is essential. Working experience in relevant jobs and previous humanitarian experience in MSF or other NGOs or community work involving migrants and vulnerable Greeks is an asset.
- Languages: Greek and English essential, other languages would be an asset (French, Arabic, Farsi, or Kurdish)
- High level flexibility is necessary as the outreach program might change rapidly; availability for working evening hours is essential.
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential
- Strategic Vision, Leadership, Networking, Teamwork, Intercultural sensitivity, and Commitment are essential
- Annual gross salary: according to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English at the following email address quoting reference code "Athens Medical Doctor"
[To send your CV please click her.]
Closing Date: 07/07/2022
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted