Position: Medical Doctor
Project: MSF Balkan Mission / Evros
Starting date: immediately
Duration: 3 months (possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the patients, through consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to the hospital.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team if any under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary
- Actively participate in a multi-disciplinary approach between professions.
- Provide medical certificates to patients when indicated.
- Be a support (Team Leader) for Mobile Clinic when needed.
- Be a support for emergency activities when needed; guarantee the follow-up of vulnerable patients with medical conditions
- Contributes in data collection, analysis and reporting on regular basis
- Participate regularly in meeting and briefings/debriefings
- Support in networking with other actors and organizations; keeps good communication and collaboration with external partners
- Participate in ongoing training on MSF protocols to MSF staff and if relevant to staff of other organizations.
- Medical Focal Point for staff health in the project
- Support and manages the staff under his/her supervision if any, including setting objectives, development plans and yearly evaluations.
- Support in medical inventories (pharmacy, medical bags) and if needed backups in medical orders; provides inputs for the SL of the project.
- Be flexible and adapt to changes; undertake other tasks or responsibilities according to the needs of the project, changes of activities, upon request of the line manager.
- Education: medical doctor with license to practice
- Experience: 2 year experience minimum as a medical doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health, obs and gynae, paediatrics, A, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery
- Languages: essential Greek and English
- Competencies: commitment to MSF's principles; behavioural flexibility; stress management; results and quality orientation; service orientation; teamwork and cooperation
- Full-time position
- Annual gross salary: according to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address, quoting reference code "Medical Doctor" in the subject line of the e-mail: [Το send your CV please click here.]
Closing date: 28/11/2022
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, beliefs, ability status and all other diversity characteristics.