Position: Medical Doctor
Organisation: MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF)
Project: MSF Europe Migrations
Location: Samos, Greece
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 months (possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organisation that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centres (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, beliefs, and ability statusand all other diversity characteristics.
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
Main Responsibilities of the Position
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations, and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient's illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- The Medical Doctor will access the camp 2 or 3 times x week in order to identify new cases and to visit people who can not leave the camp.
- The Medical Doctor will be in charge in providing: PHC, SGBV Care, STI, ANC, PNC and TOP according to MSF protocols.
- The MD will be in charge of providing health care to unacompagnied minors (PHC, vaccination, STIs, etc)
- Ensure proper reference to the hospital and EODY if necessary
- Participate to the team meetings and monthly reporting
- Is the focal person for the staff health (advice and referals)
- Ensure quality of care is provided according to MSF standarts and protocols
- Being available for Medical first aid interventions for new arrivals all around Samos
- MD degree/License to Practice mandatory.
- At least 2 years’ experience as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in Obs. and Gynae, Pediatrics, General Medicine.
- Desirable experience: Experience with migrants is an asset and/or traumatized refugees and psychotherapy. Previous experience with MSF.
- Previous field experience with MSF in different contexts essential
- Essential Greek and English
- Desirable French or Arabic
- Result, Teamwork, flexibility, commitment, stress management
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- Health Insurance
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code "Samos Project Medical Doctor" in the subject line of the e-mail at:
[To send your CV please click here.]
Closing Date: 2/10/2022
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted