Title of the position: Medical Doctor (National Staff)
Supervisor: Medical Activity Manager
Project: Rehabilitation of migrant survivors of torture, Athens
Duration: Initial 2 months (with high possibility of indefinite extension after the initial period)
Background of the Project:
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been providing medical and humanitarian assistance to migrants and refugees worldwide. Since October 2014 MSF provides support to migrants and refugees who have suffered torture and other forms of ill-treatment. Our aim is to offer integrated rehabilitation services, including medical care, physiotherapy, and psychosocial support to survivors of torture and ill-treatment. In particular for survivors of torture, MSF works in close collaboration with the Prometheus II project, implemented by the Greek Council for Refugees and BABEL Day Center.
Main Purpose of the Position
Provide outpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking that they are understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the patients, their referral to external specialists and hospitals in collaboration with other doctors.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Undergo on-going training in order to optimize the quality of care and build up knowledge and capacity for the identification and rehabilitation of VoTs.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary team of professionals addressing individual patient needs in a holistic manner.
- Education: Medical Doctor Diploma and licence to practice in Greece.
- Languages: Greek and English essential, French is an asset.
- Experience: 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training).
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and victims of torture is an asset
- Teamwork, intercultural sensitivity, flexibility are essential
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting
reference code "MD" in the subject line of the e-mail at:
[To send your CV please click here]
Closing date: 23/06/2019
Interviews will be held on the 2nd of July 2019
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.