Position: Mental Health Activity Manager
Project: Europe Migration
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 month contract with possibility of extention (1 year commitment)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece managed by Operational Center Brussels provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe
Participate in the planning, supervision and coordination of mental health / psycho-social related services in the programme in accordance with MSF standards in order to provide the most appropriate mental health support for patients.
- Identify the need of MH support in the population within the scope of the project and participate to the setting up of MSF strategy accordingly.
- Participate in the definition, planning, organization and update of the mental health activities and its budgeting, in close collaboration with other medical team members, in order to ensure an efficient and effective use of the resources needed while maintaining high levels of quality in Mental Health MSF activities.
- Ensure the implementation of all Mental Health (incl. health promotion) standard protocols and methodologies set by MSF and supervise their application by all professionals under his/her responsibility, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for patients
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Supervise and ensure that mental health activities (in and outside health facilities-camps), with the clients are performed with regular follow-up and according to all MSF protocols and standards in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psycho social problems ensuring mental health team is calm and neutral during sessions regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs.
- Review and develop the technical material, tools, guidelines and documents elaborated for the mental health activities and health promotion in order to develop appropriate support for patients
- Do a mapping and its regular update of the existing services, including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental health services, etc and maintain regular communication and collaboration according to objectives and context.
- Ensure good communication with the other components of the project
- Monitor and evaluate mental health support activities (define indicators and follow up tools, collect and analyze data, report regularly about mental health activities, etc.) in order to have reliable information about activities and adapt them accordingly. Participates in monthly reports according to guidelines .
- Share problematic situations and cases with the Medical Coordinator for help with decision making and problem resolution.
- Ensure that psychiatric patients coming to MSF facilities receive proper treatment including psychotropic medication and psychosocial support either within a MSF program or thru referral to an appropriate resource.
- Identify possible advocacy issues and inform PMR and FC before taking any action. Advocacy is not under Mental Health Activities Manager accountabilities.
- Provide training and supervision on a regular basis.
- Ensure cultural mediators are trained about terminology and appropriate behavior during sessions and health promotion activities.
- University Degree in Psychology, psycho-social or relevant field
- Master Degree in the same field is an asset
- 3 years of experience as clinical psychologist/ desirable experience in MSF or other NGOs (essential) .
- 2 years of experience in MSF (essential)
- Experience with victims of trauma and refugees/migrants (desirable)
- Essential 2 years of experience in managerial position.
- Very good knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- No relocation package
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code
"MH Activity Manager Thessaloniki” in the subject line of the e-mail at: [To send your CV please click here]
Closing date: Thursday 20 October 2016
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.