Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Department: Monitoring & Evaluation/ Data Collection
Location: Athens, Greece
Type/ Length of Contract: Fixed- Term/ Up to September 30, 2017
Type of Employment: Full - Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agenciesin the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC has worked forover seven decades and today is involved in over 42 countries worldwide. We address both the immediate, lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
The International Rescue Committee began relief operations in Greece in July 2015 to respond to a massive influx of refugees and migrants. Today, the IRC’s programming in Greece is focused on four key areas of programming in Lesvos and mainland Greece: information provision (including the website Refugee Info); protection (including safe spaces and case management for women and children, MHPSS, protection monitoring and services for unaccompanied minors); water, sanitation and hygiene; economic recovery and development programming (specifically cash programming).
Scope of Work:
The M&E Manager develops, manages, and strengthens IRC Greece’s M&E efforts. The M&E Manager will provide overall leadership, guidance, coordination and technical support to IRC’s M&E systems throughout Greece, ensuring that the IRC Greece program has the flexibility to respond appropriately to a rapidly changing context while ensuring program quality, effectiveness and responsiveness in line with humanitarian standards, as well as compliance with contractual obligations and other internal standards. The M&E Manager will support a robust monitoring system that facilitates both accountability and learning and includes data collection, analysis, learning reflection and timely action-taking. The M&E Manager will work closely with IRC staff, partners and sub grantees to develop appropriate accountability and learning mechanisms. The M&E Manager will report to the Deputy Director of Programs and supervise all M&E and ICT staff (approximately 5 direct reports), which may include remote management of staff based in other offices. The position requires regular travel (over 25% of time). The M&E manager will be responsible for the M&E budget.
M&E Strategy and Design:
- Support program staff to design evidence-based programming and M&E systems that align with the country, regional and global objectives, are relevant to the context, responsive to assessed needs, are measurable and are in compliance with country grant requirements;
- Ensure systems established meet standards as set out in IRC’s global Monitoring for Action (MfA) initiative for improving monitoring practice and use of data within the organization and support the implementation of IRC’s Outcomes and Evidence Framework (OEF);
- Support continuing effective use of IRC’s new organization-wide indicator database COMET for all program sectors;
- Ensure that all relevant stakeholders have timely access to appropriate information and evidence;
- Undertake continuous assessment of M&E requirements, and based on these, work closely with program coordinators to facilitate decision-making for real time program adaptation;
- Work closely with the Region on the design and development of appropriate and technology-driven systems and tools, at the assessment, monitoring, and evaluations stages of the program cycle;
- Ensure that program log frames are realistic, supported by the M&E systems and processes, consistent with the IRC’s library of core outcomes and indicators and, all together, signal progress towards country strategy implementation.
- Provide technical assistance in monitoring program progress including the design of appropriate data collection tools that can track progress and inform learning, planning and implementation of data collections, data management and analysis;
- Support the program teams in reviewing M&E tools, as well as in guiding data collection and analysis as required, including training staff in data collection tools;
- Support program staff in the design (and implementation) of assessments, which may include gender analysis, stakeholder analysis, beneficiary targeting and other pre-program data collection and analysis;
- Support program teams in design and implementation of surveys, ensuring use of appropriate methodologies, questionnaire design, training of interviewers, data collection, and data analysis;
- Contribute to donor proposals and reports, through quality analysis and interpretation of data, as well as design and review of log frames/results frameworks;
- Provide technical assistance to sector programs in the development and review of M&E and data analysis plans, including the effective use of data collected in regular data review meetings;
- Ensure consistency of indicators across all programs as appropriate, maintaining a bank of program indicators;
- Support the program teams with design of routine data dashboards in COMET and preparation of data for donor reports.
- Work with senior management to identify strategic opportunities for external and internal evaluations, case and impact studies;
- Act as a focal point for internal and external evaluation consultants / third party monitors.
- Ensure that IRC meets its internal and external accountability commitments through the development and implementation of accountability mechanisms appropriate for the rapidly evolving context, and including a beneficiary feedback and response mechanism utilized by program teams;
- Lead IRC Greece’s participation in IRC’s Client Voice and Choice beneficiary feedback system pilot.
- Promote an environment of best practice and knowledge sharing between programs and within programs between different offices.
- Support program teams to develop strong project databases, tracking, record keeping and filing methodologies for all activities;
- Promote and strengthen the understanding of the importance of M&E within the country team and with program partners, as appropriate, including through staff trainings, and the use and /or analysis of M&E systems during program design and implementation;
- Conduct frequent field monitoring visits and provide regular feedback to project teams.
Information and Communications Technology
- Lead all ICT4P-related activities, including supervision of IRC Hellas ICT staff, working closely with regional focal points;
- Act as the IRC focal point for organization-wide measurement activities such as IRC’s global data platform COMET, regional beneficiary counting reports, organizational performance monitoring, annual reports, etc.;
- Maximize the value and utility of ICT related M&E initiatives.
- Support development and implementation of partner M&E systems, as appropriate;
- Conduct periodic data quality reviews to ensure accuracy of data reported by partners;
- Ensure use of monitoring data for regular performance monitoring of partners to support the achievement of set program objectives;
- Ensure regular technical M&E support and guidance to partners, including staff training.
- Represent IRC Hellas in appropriate fora and coordination mechanisms;
- Develop M&E budgets for each grant and ensure regularbudget monitoring.
- Bachelor’s degree, MA/MSc equivalent strongly preferred, in social sciences or other relevant field;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in developing managing M&E processes and a sound technical understanding of contemporary Mamp;E principles, methods and approaches;
- Experience in the development or humanitarian sector, preferably in an INGO;
- Strong measurement, analytical, systematic-thinking, planning and organizational skills;
- Training and experience in conducting statistical analysis of data, including use of statistical software such as SPSS, Stata, or EpiInfo;
- Experience designing and implementing surveys;
- Demonstrated experience and excellent skills developing qualitative and quantitative data collection tools with Kobo experience preferred;
- Demonstrated experience and excellent skills developing logical/results frameworks, indicators and other key M&E tools;
- Demonstrated experience and excellent skills in data/information management and analysis, with experience using databases and software applications, with DHIS2 experience preferred;
- Demonstrated experience and capacity in conducting field-level data collection and data entry;
- Experience in capacity building and team building;
- Experience in staff and budget management;
- English fluency, both verbal and written, required; Greek, Arabic or Farsi language skills an advantage.
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, demonstrating diplomacy and tact;
- Promotes teamwork and is able to work with a variety of people in a multicultural environment;
- Capable of influencing and motivating individuals that are not under direct line management;
- Capable of applying skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, remote management, training and the transfer of technical knowledge and skills to others;
- Flexible and able to handle pressure;
- Values learning and takes a strong interest in new developments in the field of MEAL.
Working schedule: Office schedule with frequent travel.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
[To send your CV please click here]