Call for CVs GR 19/125 Protection Specialists
Position Title: Protection Specialists
Duty Station: Grevena
Classification: Ungraded position, attractive remuneration package
Type of Appointment: Special short-term contract with possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Greece, IOM is focusing on responding to the Mediterranean migrant’s crisis, in support of the Greek Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved. IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, migration and development, resettlement and repatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
In the framework of the emergency situation regarding the migrants, asylum seekers and refugees across Greece, IOM Greece is establishing a pool of candidates interested to join the organisation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Protection Area Coordinator, the incumbent is expected to:
- Conduct vulnerability assessments to migrants and refugees residing in open accommodation centres, address protection needs and refer to competent agencies for specialized protection services;
- Coordinate effectively protection activities with other protection partners, stakeholders and authorities;
- Understand and report to line manager specific protection needs of people residing in open accommodation centres;
- Focus on needs of vulnerable groups i.e. women at risk, children at risk, older people etc and refers cases for further treatment. Follow up on protection cases and ensure quality case management;
- Commit to maintain a comprehensive and updated case file for each case undertaken. Inform and keep updates beneficiaries for the progress of their cases;
- Conduct regular mapping of services in- site and off –site and ensure access of services to migrants and refugees;
- Collect and share valid information with migrants and refugees about available services locally or nationally and prepare documents, leaflets and outreach messaging to ensure correct dissemination of information;
- Ensures confidentiality when handling personal information and data of migrants and refugees;
- In cooperation with the other psychosocial services in the open accommodation centre develops individual action plans for migrants and refugees;
- Actively participate and promote weekly meetings with case management actors to discuss case management and collect feedback about existing risks, challenges and gaps in service provision for protection cases;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Social Work preferable a bachelor’s degree or higher level from an accredited institution; University degree in Psychology will also be considered when candidate demonstrates work experience in the field
- Membership of the Association of Greek Social Workers would be an advantage;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and stakeholders, working in international organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in a multi-cultural setting.
- Demonstrated ability to draft and prepare clear and concise formal correspondence and project reports.
- Strong organizational, facilitation, communication, writing and presentations skills;
- Proficient in a Microsoft Office environment and office software packages. Knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and keep deadlines.
- Strong work ethics and commitment to humanitarian principles.
Languages: Proficiency in English, and Greek.
- Accountability – accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Client Orientation – identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous Learning – demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Creativity and Initiative – pro actively develops new ways to solve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – convinces others to share resources
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Performance management – provide constructive feedback to colleagues
- Planning and Organizing – sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others.
- Professionalism – Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to the relevant cultural contexts
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Technological Awareness - pro actively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives
1. The position is subject to funding confirmation.
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of
residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
3. Appointment will be subject to the provision of the relevant to the position degree(s), professional licenses and/or
criminal record certificate.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and Cover Letter) in English, to
[To send your CV please click here.]
quoting the vacancy notice number CFCV GR 19/125 by 17th November, 2019 at the
latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Posting Period: 11.11.2019-17.11.2019