Job Title: Senior Field Editor, RI Greece
Location: Athens, Greece
Type of contract: Fixed- June 1, 2019 — September 30, 2019
Type of employment: Full-time
Shift schedule: Office hours
The position is undertaken and fulfilled by IRC and is exclusively funded by third bodies with predetermined duration to materialize a specific program.
Refugee.Info is an innovative, first-of-its-kind project that harnesses social media and other digital tools to change the way the humanitarian community communicates with refugees and asylum-seekers. It began in 2015 in Greece and is a collaboration between the International Rescue Committee and Mercy Corps.
Refugee.Info meets refugees and asylum-seekers in Europe where they are online to listen to their questions and concerns and to provide the information they need to make informed choices about their lives. We also provide the humanitarian community with a platform to reach refugees and asylum-seekers with accessible information in multiple languages.
The Refugee.Info editorial team is complemented by the Refugee.Info connectivity team, which installs and maintains critical wifi service in refugee camps and other sites in Greece and Italy.
The Senior Field Editor is responsible for information collection, verification and delivery for content relevant to all refugees and asylum-seekers in Greece, leading on information focused on the Greek Islands, in partnership with the RI Greece Manager. S/he will lead on the development of content that is more complex and difficult to research. S/he is responsible for assisting Facebook moderators with answering difficult questions about the Greek islands and other questions as directed by the RI Greece Manager. S/he leads on engagement with members of the communities RI serves, including through in-person outreach and on ensuring that community feedback informs RI content. S/he also leads on visual presentation of information and supervises contractors for, or partnerships with organizations that produce, graphic design, video production, photos or other visual media. S/he leads on implementing the RI social media strategy cross all channels.
The Senior Field Editor reports directly to the RI Greece Manager and works closely with translators, Facebook moderators, IRC Hellas colleagues, and technical advisors.
- Gather, vet, fact-check, verify, write and package information on priority topics for all RI channels, with a special focus on the Greek islands.
- Peer-edit content written for Refugee.Info by the RI Greece Manager, ensuring accuracy and usability.
- Directly manage the content schedule for RI Greece, ensuring it is up-to-date, as well as informed and led by user demand and interest.
- Manage and enter content for the Refugee.Info site and blog into content management systems, and publish on relevant channels.
- Work with translators to ensure timely and accurate translations of content.
- Help ensure accuracy of services listed on the Refugee.Info service mapping tool in Greece, particularly on the Greek islands.
- Support RI contributions to business development opportunities as requested by the request of the RI Greece Manager.
RI Multimedia and Social Media Management
- Create multimedia content for RI, such as photographs, videos and graphics.
- Oversee the visual content produced by and shared by Refugee.Info across all channels.
- Design and implement Instagram strategy for RI.
- Lead on implementing social media strategy for RI across channels.
- Build partnerships with organizations that can contribute multimedia content to Refugee.Info.
- Lead on organizing live chats and in-person outreach events to raise awareness of RI and to create more inclusive and accessible programming.
- Design RI promotional materials and lead on the compilation and presentation of RI’s impact stories.
Coordination, Representation and Communication with Communities
- Represent Refugee.Info core values and commitment to a people-centered approach, and promote the work and value of Refugee.Info to internal and external stakeholders, including donors, partners, other IRC colleagues, and refugees and asylum-seekers.
- At direction of RI Greece Manager, collaborate and engage with other actors in Greece, including UN and government agencies, to produce key messages for refugees and asylum-seekers; share back questions and responses from refugees and asylum-seekers.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth, nuanced understanding of the humanitarian context in assigned region through staying abreast of reports and current literature, developing a network of internal and external contacts, attending working group and other meetings, and traveling to sites and other locations.
- Use online tools and other modes of communication to consistently share information with other members of the team.
- Participate in all team meetings, workshops, strategy sessions, regular communications, etc., as established by the RI Greece Manager.
- Arrange and conduct information sessions for both the refugee communities and humanitarian actors.
- Conduct in-person RI outreach.
The successful Refugee.Info Field Editor is extremely proactive, detail-oriented and organized. S/he values accurate and error-free reporting. S/he is self-directed and reliably completes tasks. S/he is diplomatic and able to work with a range of peers to gather and verify information. S/he is tech- and social media-savvy and quick to learn new tools. S/he has a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability and regularly seeks opportunities for collaboration. She thrives in evolving and changing environments.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in journalism, communications or other relevant field. MA/MSc in a relevant field desired.
- 3+ years of reporting and content creation experience, including for online platforms and social media. Experience writing about sensitive and complex subjects required. Demonstrated ability to parse legal and official government language strongly desired.
- 2+ years creating multimedia, visual and/or audio content required. Photography and/or video production skills a big plus.
- Some experience working with marginalized and/or vulnerable clients (required).
- Experience and/or education in social work or MHPSS activities a huge plus.
- Deep knowledge of the refugee response in Greece and the systems and processes in place or under development to facilitate refugees’ access to services, education, health care, and social benefits.
- Nuanced knowledge and understanding of the Greek asylum procedure and the ways it can vary in application, particularly on the Greek islands.
- A network of contacts in local and international organizations, Greek government agencies and UN agencies operating in Greece, and on the islands in particular, who can provide information that refugees identify as a priority.
- Extensive knowledge of the priorities and most pressing concerns of refugees in Greece, and on the islands in particular.
- Practical knowledge of how to market content on social media, including how to prepare content and how to post, run advertisements and monitor response.
- Knowledge of content creation best practice for Facebook and Instagram.
- Knowledge of Adobe tools required.
- Practical knowledge of Contentful, Slack, Google tools, Microsoft suite, Ghost CMS, Transifex, Trello desired; basic html and markdown language a plus.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; native-level Greek required.
- High level of empathy.
- High level of tolerance for ambiguity.
- Ability to learn quickly and proactively seek out information, assess trends/developments, and build relationships across diverse actors and contexts.
- Ability to work well both within a team and independently, in a challenging, fast-paced, multicultural environment.
- Ability to adapt journalistic ethics to a humanitarian context.
- Familiarity with humanitarian principles; familiarity with refugee and migration issues in Europe.
Travel: The position is based in Athens and will require travel (up to 20%) to Greek islands and other locations as needed.
Eligibility: Must be eligible to work in Greece or the European Union.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRCrecruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.
[To send your CV please click here.]