Terre des hommes is seeking expression of interest from qualified and committed individuals:
Category: Collaboration Consultant Management
Name of the position: Service Access Assistant/ Interpreter – Kurdish (Kumanji and Sorani)
Contract Type: National, Short-term Definite Type Contract
Starting Date: asap
Activity rate: 100% (full time) Deadline
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. The Foundation has been helping children in need for over 50 years; defending their rights regardless of their race, creed or political affiliation. In over 30 countries, Tdh protects children against exploitation and violence, improves children’s and their mother’s health and provides emergency psychological and material support in humanitarian crises.
In Greece, Tdh has been working through partners since 2006 and has directly provided integrated child protection and youth services (case management, shelter, MHPSS, education and life-skills, etc.) since March 2016. The overall goal of Tdh’s continued interventions in Greece is to improve the protective environment for at risk children and youth and enhance their resilience.
For further information, please visit our website www.tdh.ch/en and www.facebook.com/tdh.greece/
General Position Description:
The main purpose of this role is to ensure the successful access of refugees abd asylum seekers individuals to the services they require. This requires the filling of two key roles:
- Provision of interpretation/ translation on behalf of beneficiairies with service providers (in particular Tdh lawyer.
- Provision of basic social support to individuals; helping to enhance beneficiaries independent access to services through information sharing, initial accompaniments to services, mentoring, and follow up by phone.
According to the project requirements, Service Access Support Assistant/Interpreter might be requested to perform tasks in other regions and with changing working schedule (for example: in case of mediation for accompanying beneficiaries to asylum seekers appointments in various asylum offices or providing interpretation for assessing referred cases in different locations).
- Help and support program staff, on daily basis, to communicate with target beneficiaries in order to benefit from and be engaged in project’s activities
- Participate in meetings organized with beneficiaries in order to provide accurate interpretation services
- Ensure the translation of documents when necessary
- Support targeted beneficiaries in accessing services through daily accompaniment to relevant services and translation services
- Establish and nurture positive relations with target beneficiaries, community members and refugee volunteers and all other actors
- Participate in survey, reporting and data collection when required
- Willing to work with a flexible working schedule
- Be ready to provide their services to respond to emergency cases such as health issues (to be addressed within 24 hours) or life threatening situations
- Ensure that necessary documentation regarding activities is maintained using agreed upon forms
- Update required databases and reporting tools to ensure a comprehensive record of activities is maintained
Collaboration with Tdh Protection Staff:
- Provide language interpretation to support Lawyers and other key protection staff in the delivery of case management services to target beneficiaries
- Assist the legal team in all followed legal processes and sign interpretation documents accordingly - but not restricted to - procedures upon the national Courts, the Registrar’s Office, the Notary’s office etc.
- Accompany laywers during intake/follow up visits to provide accurate and prompt language interpretation services
- Assist Lawyers ensure that beneficiaries access information in a clear and concise way, fully understand procedures and that consents/assents are willingly given for the registration in the case management system
- Assist Lawyers interviews and meetings with target beneficiaries to collect information to assess
- a situation, conduct assessment, define and implement individual’s plan and related follow-ups
Service Access Assistance:
- Encourage beneficiaries to independently access required services
- Accompany beneficiaries to service providers in order to assist and facilitate access to different type of services, particularly those accessing services for the first time, or vulnerable individuals who are struggling to do so independently
- Provide regular guidance (via phone and face to face) to beneficiaries related to social, medical and legal services access, and sign-post them to access them alone where possible
- Implement daily, weekly and monthly follow-up and monitoring visits to PoCs to identify needs and refer internally to the corresponding Tdh services
- Encourage and support beneficiaries’ attendance and participation to activities and promptly refer to lawyers and/or Senior Project Officer any problems and/or related challenges related
- Comply with the Tdh Global Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding standards throughout the organization and with partners; report any concern to Child Safeguarding Policy Focal Point.
- Comply with all operational risk management policies: Whistle Blowing Policy, Anti Fraud and Corruption Policy as well as with the Security Plan of the organization and strengthen their implementation with the project team.
- Report any safety or security incident to security focal point.
- Report directly through the established internal reporting procedures any concerns of abuse or mistreatment of beneficiaries ensuring confidentiality at all stages.
- Adhere to and enforce Tdh administrative regulations and procedures as well as Tdh IT and driving policies and SoPs to the team under responsibility.
- Commit to observe discretion on any information related to the organization functioning and related issues.
- Support the base to identify and analyse security risks; especially related to project implementation.
- Guarantee that project donor’s procedures are respected and alert internally in case of need ▪ Travelling will be required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- University degree in Languages, translation/interpretation, social work or relevant Professional diploma
- At least 1 year experience in similar position
- Previous experience with an NGO is desirable
- Non Greek candidates when applying must have a valid legal documentation to be employed in Greece
- Knowledge of key protection and legal issues in the asylum seekers population and best practices
- Ability to work in an inter cultural environment
- Basic IT knowledge (Microsoft Office, Internet)
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in Greek and / or English (knowledge of both would be an asset)
- ▪Fluency (oral, and written) in Kurdish (Kumanji and Sorani):
- Fulfilled Military Obligations (male candidates) for Greek citizens ▪ Valid driving license
This position is subject to pending confirmation by the donor
Terre des hommes provides equal work conditions for men and women. Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and motivation letter in English with reference code THE_SAA_102021 at:
[To send your CV please click here.]
Tdh will only consider complete online applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted and the interview will be conducted in Greek/English.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer the post before the closing date.