Position: Social Worker
Project: Rehabilitation of Migrant Survivors of Torture, ATHENS
Duration: Indefinite (initial trial contract of 2 months)
Working hours: Full-time (5 days a week)
Background of the Project
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been providing medical and humanitarian assistance to migrants and refugees worldwide. Since October 2014 MSF provides support to migrants and refugees who have suffered torture and other forms of ill-treatment. Our aim is to offer integrated rehabilitation services, including medical care, physiotherapy, and psychosocial support to survivors of torture and ill-treatment. In particular for survivors of torture, MSF works in close collaboration with the Prometheus II project, implemented by the Greek Council for Refugees and BABEL Day Center.
Carry out all social-related activities, in order to improve the patient’s situation, to maximize his/her adherence to treatment and to improve his/her psychosocial condition.
- Carry out intakes with new patients (either self-referrals or referred from other organizations) to define whether the person falls within the scope of the project.
- Identify social needs of patients through a social assessment. Respond to the patient’s social needs, according to the scope of the project, by giving direct social support and/or refer to other social actors, in order to actively contribute to the improvement of their quality of living.
- Contact patients to follow up the evolution of their condition when needed.
- Refer patients to other MSF Center or partner professionals as necessary.
- Mapping and regular update of social partners, local authorities, other NGOs, and governmental social services in order to improve social services scope and responsiveness.
- Keep records, statistic and files updated, reporting any social activity, in order to prioritize and develop appropriate programs or projects.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for the activities of social workers. Take care of social services facilities, materials and equipment in order to ensure continuity.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary team of professionals addressing individual patient needs in a holistic manner.
- Education: University Degree essential, preferably in Social or similar Sciences.
- Languages: Greek and English essential, French, Arabic, Farsi an asset.
- Experience: Two years minimum experience in a similar job in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs. Working with vulnerable refugee/migrant populations and victims of violence an asset.
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential.
- Teamwork: Intercultural sensitivity and flexibility is essential.
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code "Social Worker VOT" in the subject line of the e-mail at:
[To send your CV please click here]
Closing date: 14/12/2017
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.