Senior Finance Officer - Athens
Job Title: Sr Finance Officer
Location: Athens, Greece
Type of contract: Fixed term, 6 months with possibility of extension.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas started operations in Greece in June 2015 and currently runs operations out of four offices in Athens, Mytilini, Samos and Chios. The IRC’s programming in Greece currently focuses on three key areas: Social Services for Women and Children, Mental Health, and Support to refugees to find employment / become self-employed.
Summary statement of responsibilities:
The Sr. Finance Officer will assist the Sr Finance Manager with the grant management and accounting function. He/she will be responsible to manage IRC Hellas Partnerships (Sub-awards) and perform finance training to finance and program staff.
Specific responsibilities within each functional area are as follows:
- SUN System / General Ledger Processing
- Assist in the country financial monthly closing process
- Prepare Journal Entries for Sub-grantees transactions.
- Financial Management and Monitoring of Sub-grants
- Liaise with Program and Grant to ensure timely submission of reports, payment of sub award advances and periodic payments.
- Prepare reconciliation of sub-grant advances, reimbursement and updated sub-grant schedule.
- Conduct post award monitoring visits to selected sub-grantees.
- Provide training on sub-grant financial review and monitoring.
- Represent Finance team in all Sub-Grant working group meetings and initiatives along with program, operation and grants teams.
- Staff Training:
- Provide training and support for the country office finance and program staff on the IRC finance policies, accounting procedures and requirements in the main and field offices.
- Preparation of written field trip reports after each field office visit, for review by the Sr Finance Manager identifies key issues during the field trip visits.
- Provide finance orientation to new finance staff.
- Training of Country Program Staff
- Create, revise and present Finance Department components of IRC’s monthly on-boarding day for new program and operational support staff
- Review and identify gap in program and support staff knowledge and capacity of Finance functions, and look to build training modules to address knowledge gaps
- Work in conjunction with the Supply Chain Manager and Sr Finance Manager to produce Finance-related training modules for an online knowledge repository.
- Any other tasks as requested by Sr Finance Manager
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance or Economics,
- Minimum of five years in accounting/finance.
- Must be able to function comfortably in a complex work environment, working and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) in English with staff.
- Good time management and interpersonal skills. Strong computer skills.
[To send your CV please click here]