Job Title: Translator /Cultural Mediator (Urdu Speakers)
Location: Athens, field position
Duration: One month with possibility of extension
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in different parts of Greece since June 2015, currently providing support to Middle East and North Africa refugees.
Job Overview/Summary: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Cultural Mediators Team Leader, the Translator/ Cultural Mediator provides support services on all activities, communication and documentation issues.
- Assist with translation and cultural mediation in communication with IRC staff, national staff, beneficiaries and/ or any other relevant parties;
- Assist with translation and cultural mediation, during the individual or group support to UAC residing in the Safe Zone and elsewhere needed;
- Assist Safe Zone staff in explaining all procedures to children;
- Assist the child protection caseworkers in the collection of relevant information and data of children;
- Assist the caretakers in the creation of daily care plans with the children;
- Assist with translation and cultural mediation during the sessions with the asylum advisor and the psychologist;
- Together with the support of caretakers, motivate children to participate in activities and foster a positive environment;
- Support dedicated activities in and outside of site, such as facilitation of activities for children, translation, cultural mediation and escorting children to activities/appointments with the designated staff;
- Translate from English/Greek into Urdu necessary materials or written information as required by the supervisor;
- Conduct administrative duties as required;
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in Translations, social sciences, or equivalent combination of education and work experience in an English speaking context;
- Experience working at international development programs highly desirable;
- Experience working with children and youth highly desirable;
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken) in Urdu, English and/or Greek and ability to translate into English and/ or Greek and vice versa;
- Understanding and sensitivity to the needs of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Responsiveness to queries and referrals as and when needed and able to manage a varying workload;
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people;
- Experience in translation/ interpretation services;
- Experience of working with refugees and vulnerable groups of people;
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
[Το send your CV please click here]