Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Program: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) / Monitoring and Evaluation
Base Location: Athens, with occasional travel to Thessaloniki
Reports to: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Start Date: October 2023
Duration: 3 months with high possibility of extension
Background to IRC
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity, and hope to millions uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the arrival of refugees in Greece in 2015, the IRC has been offering SMS, WASH, Livelihoods, and Protection services to children, women, and people in need of mental health support. IRC Hellas is currently operating in Athens, Thessaloniki and Lesvos.
IRC Hellas supports vulnerable refugee and host communities in Athens and Thessaloniki to access income generation through employment and self-employment services and skills-building activities, directly and in collaboration with partners.
Scope of work
We are looking for a Monitoring Evaluation Officer to work with the IRC Hellas Livelihoods and Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team by strengthening the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and supporting the various projects, including the collection of program-wide statistics to detail the reach and results of IRC Hellas Livelihoods Programs.
The selected candidate will lead MEL activities of the IRC Hellas Livelihoods department throughout Greece, ensuring that the IRC Greece program has the flexibility to respond appropriately to a constantly evolving context while ensuring program quality, effectiveness, and responsiveness in line with humanitarian standards, as well as compliance with contractual obligations and other internal standards. The Job Holder will support a robust monitoring system that facilitates accountability and learning and includes data collection, analysis, learning reflection, and timely action-taking, working closely with IRC staff and partners.
M&E Strategy and Design:
- Support program staff to design evidence-based programming and M&E systems that align with the country, regional, and global objectives, are relevant to the context, responsive to assessed needs, are measurable, and are in compliance with country grant requirements;
- Ensure systems established meet standards as set out in IRC's global Measurement Framework and support the implementation of IRC's Outcomes and Evidence Framework (OEF);
- Ensure that all relevant collaborators have timely access to appropriate information and evidence;
- Undertake continuous assessment of M&E requirements, and based on these, work closely with program leads to facilitate decision-making for real-time program adaptation;
- In cooperation with the Senior Livelihoods Manager and M&E Manager, ensure that program log frames are realistic, supported by the M&E systems and processes, consistent with the IRC's library of core outcomes and indicators and, all together, signal progress towards country strategy implementation.
- Provide assistance in monitoring program progress, including the design of appropriate data collection tools that can track progress of projects’ progress;
- Ensure data quality in program data collected;
- Support teams in reviewing M&E tools, as well as in guiding data collection and analysis as required and in design and implementation of surveys, ensuring use of appropriate methodologies, questionnaire design, training of interviewers, data collection, data analysis and report writing;
- Support data aggregation and reporting from partners and program staff using existing tools;
- Contribute to Donor proposals and reports, through quality analysis and interpretation of data;
- Provide team support in the development and analysis of data, including the effective use of data collected in regular data review meetings;
- Ensure consistency of indicators' definitions and measurement across all projects as appropriate.
Evaluations, Accountability and Learning
- Lead efforts to document lessons learned across the different Livelihoods projects. Ensure that IRC meets its internal and external accountability commitments through the development and implementation of accountability mechanisms appropriate for the rapidly evolving context, including a beneficiary feedback and response mechanism utilized by program teams;
- Promote an environment of best practice and knowledge sharing between programs and within programs between different offices.
- Support the design of projects' databases, tracking, record keeping and filing methodologies for all activities;
- Provide capacity-building support to program/project staff in areas of data collection and analysis.
Other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
The position reports to the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager. The position also works closely with the MEL Coordinator, Sr Livelihoods Manager, Senior Livelihoods Officers, Livelihoods Assistants, Job and Micro-enterprise counselor(s), and Educators.
Education: Bachelor's degree or higher qualification in Social Science, Statistics, Economics and Business or a related field;
Work Experience:Minimum of 2 years' experience developing and managing monitoring and learning systems related to monitoring and learning for complex development activities in humanitarian crises. Demonstrable experience working with a range of M&E methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative, including logical models, conceptual frameworks, and assessment/evaluation. Experience in working closely and supporting civil society organizations in the Global South and/or supporting programmes that focus on the wellbeing of women and girls desired. Experience working with donor programmes and familiarity with FCDO approach to monitoring, evaluation and learning desired.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Proven ability to operate in a complex organization across functions and work on own initiative as well as collaboratively as part of diverse teams. An ability to manage a complex and varied workload and work under pressure. Excellent written and oral English communication and interpersonal skills. High proficiency in MS Office skills and experience in PowerBI are strongly desired;
Language Skills: Fluency in Greek and English required;
The role is for Athens, with occasional travel to Thessaloniki
Standard of Professional Conduct: IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – our Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Commitment to Gender, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. The IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity or tribe, gender, age, religion, caste, sexual orientation, differently abled, geographic origin, marital status, veteran status and cultural background (or any other characteristic protected by law). We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.