Arabic / Greek Interpreter / Cultural Mediator - Thessaloniki
Job title: Interpreter / Cultural Mediator (Full time & Part time positions)
Languages: Arabic / Greek (Kurmanji or French are an asset)
Duty station: Thessaloniki - Greece (daily outreach to different public services in the city)
Starting date: Immediately
Duration: 6 months
Applications until: 24 June 2018
Type of contract: National
The ACCREF program aims at offering refugees, asylum seekers and migrants an integrated approach of health and protection services, through accompaniment, interpretation and cultural mediation between them and the Greek public servants responsible for their health, legal advice and protection care.
The Spanish Red Cross has piloted and developed its ACCREF (accompanied referrals) program in Athens, through which a team of professional interpreters accompany refugees and migrants to public or other support services, facilitate the communication and mediate between the users and the Greek public servants or health staff. One year after its start in June 2016, ACCREF team in Athens currently manages around 900 accompaniments per month.
To provide translation support to beneficiaries, facilitating the communication between them, the project staff and the Greek public servants.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Red Cross Movement´s and operation goals.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Red Crescent principles.
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
- Accompaniment (i.e. Interpretation and Cultural mediation) services to the beneficiaries from their mother tongue to Greek (or English) and vice versa, when attending Greek public services. Most interpretation workload will be related to enabling communication of medical staff (doctors and nurses).
- Trustful interpretation/translation from Arabic to English and/or Greek, with a respectful behavior while accompanying the users to the public service or when providing on-call support.
- Manage his/her personal appointment agendas and attend each appointment with punctuality, while maintaining the communication with the service users as to provide guidance and inform them about any unforeseen delay.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained, according to IASC standards and RC guidelines
- Participate in the collection and analysis of health centre epidemiological data and provision of timely reports according to Red Cross data collection systems (registration book and ODK devices)
- Intercultural mediation: inform the actors about important cultural nuances to consider when accompanying an ACCREF service user to a public service in the city of Thessaloniki.
- Implement or support in the implementation of the Community engagement and accountability (CEA) and Humanitarian protection approaches
- Participate in staff briefings and trainings, and accompany team members to meetings as needed.
- Responsible use of the provided devices
- Translate documents and project materials into local language(s) as needed.
- Might be expected to be on call, work on weekend, or on ad hoc basis.
- Respect and well management of the schedule marks, accepting the daily work instructions proactively.
- Help in data collection when there is a need to
- Degree in Translation studies, social science, social communication, social work or education is an asset.
- Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is an asset
- Interpretation and translation from demanded language to English and/or Greek, in medical environments (provision of healthcare services) – 2 years
- Working with migrants, refugees and/or asylum seekers – 2 years
- Translating and editing documents will be an advantage
- Arabic Level C1 or similar (written and spoken)- Kurmanji or French are an asset.
- Greek - level C2 or native (mandatory)
Skills and Knowledge:
- Able to work independently and excellent team work capacities – incl. skills and personality that enables him/her to work as a cultural mediator.
- Good digital and computer skills (MS Office, use of tablets and mobile phones).
- Stress management capacity.
- Professional behaviour to handle stressful situations.
- Good office organisational and secretarial skills, including good planning skills of his/her own agenda.
- Sensitive to cultural and regional issues.
- Well knowledge of Greek health system and Greek social services.
- Good knowledge of the city of Thessaloniki is an asset. The position requires that the Interpreter/Cultural mediators move around the city of Thessaloniki in public transportation several times per day.
Other required qualities:
- Results focus and accountability.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions.
- Self-motivated, proactive with good judgement and initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Sensitive to diversity and willing to efficiently support the target population
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team.
- Ability to organize a team and delegate.
- Able to work under minimum supervision.
- Establish and ensure effective working relationships with all Red Cross Movement staff
No relocation package is offered.
Applications accepted until 24th June 2018.
Spanish Red Cross reserves the right to recruit a candidate
who matches the required profile before the above date.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter mentioning the Job title.
[To send your CV please click here]