Call for CVs GR 19/10 Cultural Mediators Coordinator
Position Title: Cultural Mediators Coordinator
Duty Station: Athens & Thessaloniki
Classification: Ungraded position, attractive remuneration package
Type of Appointment: Special short-term contract with possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Greece, IOM is focusing on responding to the Mediterranean migrant’s crisis, in support of the Greek Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved. IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, migration and development, resettlement and repatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
In the framework of the emergency situation regarding the migrants, asylum seekers and refugees across Greece, IOM Greece is establishing a pool of candidates interested to join the organisation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the National SMS Coordinator, the incumbent is expected to:
- Overall supervision and coordination of IOM cultural mediators (site level and roving teams). Allocate across site based on needs assessment.
- Monitor cultural mediators’ daily interventions at site level. Offer feedback in order to efficiently support field teams.
- Support National Authorities in operations; coordinate team based on language needs.
- Offer training to IOM cultural mediators.
- Represent IOM and support in missions to mitigate escalation of tension and resolve situations with clear messaging ad instructed by the National SMS Coordinator.
- Coordinate the translation of documents and info materials for different purposes of IOM departments.
- Ensure timely and effective staff recruitment and induction processes for IOM Cultural Mediators.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High School diploma, University degree from an accredited university would be considered as an asset
- Five (5) years of related work experience in humanitarian emergency setting
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions and migrants and refugees.
- Strong organizational, facilitation, communication skills.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Proficiency in Greek and Arabic or other prevalent language spoken amongst the communities residing in IOM accommodation centres
- Accountability – accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Client Orientation – identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous Learning – demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Creativity and Initiative – pro actively develops new ways to solve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – convinces others to share resources
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Performance management – provide constructive feedback to colleagues
- Planning and Organizing – sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others.
- Professionalism – Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to the relevant cultural contexts
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Technological Awareness - pro actively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives
- The position is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Appointment will be subject to the provision of the relevant to the position degree(s), professional licenses and/or criminal record certificate.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit
their applications (CV and Cover Letter) in English, to
[To send your CV please click here]
email address, quoting the vacancy notice number CFCV GR 19/10
by 14th January, 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Posting Period: 08.01.2019-14.01.2019