Position Title: Driver
Supervised by: Supply Chain Team Leader
Reporting to: Supply Chain Team Leader
Duty Station: Larisa
Area of Operation: Greece
The Danish Refugee Council assistsrefugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future.We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle.In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions.We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work in the sites of Central Greece as, a Driver/Supply Chain Assistant. Under the supervision of the SC Team Leader, the Driver/Supply Chain Assistant, will support the implementation of all DRC activities in all reception sites in DRC’s area of responsibility in Central Greece.
- Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Acquire full knowledge of DRC Greece Fleet Operational Handbook & any relevant policies.
- Drive the DRC-rented vehicles (including 9-seated vans) for the transportation of DRC personnel and cargo between office and sites in Central Greece on a shift weekly rotation system with other drivers.
- Ensure the safety of passengers in vehicles following all DRC and Greek legislation safety regulations (ie. road rules, seat belts, first aid kits etc).
- Assist passengers to load/unload DRC belongings to/from vehicles.
- Conduct daily/monthly monitoring of the vehicle’s engine, brake oil, tire pressure, wiper fluid, radiator fluid, etc as per DRC Greece guidelines.
- Fill out all relevant Fleet documentation (vehicle logbook, monthly check monitoring logbook, waivers) ensuring any signature wherever needed from DRC personnel is received.
- Report any issues for maintenance, damage or any other vehicle issue to the SC Officer and fill in all relevant documentation as per DRC guidelines.
- Ensure vehicle is always at minimum half a fuel tank and re-fuel when necessary.
- Ensure vehicle has necessary equipment (pharmacy tool kit, triangle, fire extinguisher, etc as per DRC guidelines) and is kept clean (interior & exterior).
- Be willing to travel, stay overnight in other Greece locations where DRC operates upon request.
- Support Supply Chain Larissa in any requirements that might emerge and as per Supply Chain Officer and Supply Chain Team Leader request.
When driving duties are not required, assist at site with activities, following Supply Chain Team and/or Site Operations Team request always in agreement with Supply Chain Team Leader, such as:
- Assist in managing DRC assigned Warehouses at Koutsochero site, Larissa Sub Office and possible other districts in Central Greece.
- Support with the purchase of materials outside the site accompanied by a site staff member, loading/unloading included and fill in of any relevant documentation.
- Support with any distribution/collection needs (NFIs, appliances, fire extinguishers, damaged items/assets, etc).
- Support Handyman or external contractors (hand over/transporting tools/spare parts, monitor/report for any task, etc).
- Undertake small scale works at site (e.g. assist in taking measurements, drawing numbers on shelter containers, etc).
- Support with storage and inventory maintenance/physical count at sites and fill in of any relevant documentation.
- Ensure daily tracking (inbounds/outbounds) of Warehouse flows making use of DRC relevant documents (Waybills, Release Orders, Goods Receive Notes, Stock cards, etc); all documents bear proper approvals/signatures from responsible departments as per DRC guidelines.
- Assist in the Assets & General Purpose Equipment (GPE) maintenance, in collaboration with Supply Chain Officer-Assets responsible (e.g. physical verification, condition, tagging, etc)
- Assist in any other task deemed urgent and necessary for the proper implementation of DRC activities at site, as per Supply Chain Team or Site Operations Team request and always in agreement with Supply Chain Team Leader.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by Supply Chain Team Leader
- A valid driving license and any other related documentation.
- 3 years of previous driving experience in a similar position; any experience working with NGO is desirable.
- Able to communicate both verbally and written in Greek/English.
- Basic knowledge of MS Office is required
- Knowledge of Central Greece area.
- Punctuality and respect for rules and procedures.
- Must be able to maintain high level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data.
- Knowledge of any logistics and procurement notion can be considered an asset.
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed.
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills are a must, and a good sense of humor.
- Terms & Conditions:
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Athens Country Office (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: [To send your CV please click here.].
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 12th of July.
Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.