Project: MSF Balkan Mission/ Lesvos Projects
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: Indefinite (with 1 month of probation period)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies; doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols; universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardized protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling.
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse in the management of Sexual Violence cases.
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected.
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card.
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor. Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions. Supervises the use of drugs, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point.
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Assure the quality of the care for all consultations in the SRH (Sexual and Reproductive Health) department: FP (family planning), STI (sexual transmitted infections) and Sexual Violence - SV (Antenatal Care ANC/Postnatal Care - PNC if needed), vaccinations.
- Long/short term methods are provided for Family Planning (injections, condoms, pills, emergency pill, ring)
- Assure the quality of the data collection tools and the reporting of the SRH activities; ensure proper filling of the single data forms for every consultation (and confidential data management); ensures all the data bases are well followed; monthly reports or other reports (e.g. Quarterly Reports) are produced and submit to the Project Medical Referent.
- Participate to mobile clinics (Megala Therma) for SRH assessment and follow-up – according to the needs. Assure SRH evaluation of relevant cases during mobile clinic activities; Ensure follow-up of SRH patients during Mobile Clinics and after referral to the camp, according to the needs; data collection activities and reporting related to Mobile Clinic are regularly submitted
- Regularly participate in outreach activities inside the camp, in collaboration with the Health Promotion team; supports in outreach and indoor educational sessions (e.g. contraceptive care, Sexual Violence, Sexual Transmitted Infections, other)
- Possibly participate in emergency activities when needed.
- Education: Essential Bachelor in Midwifery and license to practice in Greece.
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGOs.
- Languages: Essential Greek and English.
- Competencies: Commitment to MSF’s Principles; Behavioural Flexibility; Stress Management; Results and Quality Orientation; Service Orientation; Teamwork and Cooperation.
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address, quoting reference code "Midwife Lesvos" in the subject line of the e-mail: [To send your CV please click here.]
Closing Date: 24/11/2022
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, beliefs, ability statusand all other diversity characteristics.