Title of the position: Physiotherapist
Project: Rehabilitation of migrant survivors of torture, Athens
Supervisor: Medical Activity Manager
Duration: Initial 2- months (high possibility of indefinite extension after the initial period)
Working hours: Full-Time
Background of the Project:
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been providing medical and humanitarian assistance to migrants and refugees worldwide since it was founded in 1971 and in Greece since 1991. Since October 2014 MSF has provided support to migrants and refugees who have suffered torture and other forms of ill-treatment. Our aim is to offer integrated rehabilitation services, including medical care, physiotherapy, and psychosocial support to survivors of torture and ill-treatment. In particular, for survivors of torture, MSF works in close collaboration with the Prometheus II project, implemented by the Greek Council for Refugees and BABEL Day Center.
Main Purpose of the Position:
Following medical assessment, plan and carry out individual treatment programs, by assessing patients’ physical state, in order to maintain, improve or rehabilitate the physical well-being of the patient and prevent physical disability.
- Assess patient physical status, using different procedures (e.g. functional capacity tests) in order to set up treatment objectives with the patient and therefore improve patient's health and wellbeing.
- Elaborate and implement physiotherapy programmes, including physiotherapy exercises, manipulations, massages, education, utilization of physiotherapy devices and orthopaedic equipment, educating and advising patients and their care-takers on how to prevent and/or improve conditions, in order to accelerate and improve activity results.
- Train patients and care-takers on how to avoid injury in order to create preventive behaviours.
- Facilitate group exercise sessions and accompany and supervise the group(s) of patients
- Actively monitor and report physiotherapy activities (correctly filling in patient files, forms, statistics, and reports) and analyse these statistics in order to improve quality service.
- Use the scales (visual analogy pain scale, muscle grading, ROM measurements, etc.) required to monitor and evaluate the progress of individual patients.
- Take care of physiotherapy equipment, managing the stock, making orders according to activity and cleaning up the equipment, in order to ensure its continuous availability and quality of service.
- Undergo on-going training in order to optimize the quality of care and build up knowledge and capacity for the identification and rehabilitation of VoT.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary team of professionals addressing individual patient needs in a holistic manner.
- Education: Physiotherapy Degree and licence to practice in Greece.
- Languages: Greek and English essential, French is an asset.
- Experience: 2 year experience minimum
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential
- Teamwork, intercultural sensitivity, flexibility are essential.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and victims of violence is an asset.
- Full time position, 5 days a week
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Health Insurance.
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code "Physio"
in the subject line of the e-mail at:
[To send your CV please click here.]
Closing date: 27/10/2019
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.