Position: Nurse (Psychiatric Liaison Nurse)
Project: MSF Europe Migration/ Lesvos-Balkan Projects
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 months (high possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients (primarily adults with physical and mental health symptoms related to experiences of torture, violence and/or sexual violence), according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure quality and continuity of care for the targeted population
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, and other medical procedures.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration)
- For patients under the care of the psychiatrist, reviewing medication adherence and checking for side effects and improvement or deterioration in symptoms (with supervision).
- Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Ensuring triage of patients in reception area when necessary or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- When necessary participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance to cover absence of pharmacy nurse (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorization, etc.)
- When necessary covering absence of referral nurse to arrange external appointment of patients
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Providing vaccination to the target patient following the protocol put in place
- Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma. Desirable Bachelor in Science of Nursing and psychiatric experience.
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s. Desirable previous experience in, or interest in, working in environment with strong mental health focus
- Languages: Essential Greek and English. Desirable French, Arabic, Farsi
- Competencies: Results and quality orientation, teamwork and cooperation, commitment to MSF principles, good administrative skills, ICT and data management skills, behavioral flexibility, stress management, service orientation
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- Private insurance
This is a local opening but all candidates interested in the position and willing to work on Lesvos are welcomed to apply. In that case it should be noted that MSF will not offer any relocation benefits.
Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address,
quoting reference code "Nurse Lesvos" in the subject line of the e-mail:
[To send your CV please click here]
Closing Date: 08/11/2019
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.