Job Title: Senior Project Officer - Capacity
Reports to: Partnership and Capacity
Salary Grade: 8
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As Senior Project Officer - Capacity Strengthening (Finance) for the ALLRight project team, you will facilitate the achievement of project objectives through coordinating and reporting on all project activities and providing technical guidance and advice to staff and implementing partner(s) advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. In this role you will accompany partners through their capacity building and institutional development efforts. Your coordination and relationship management skills will ensure that the project for which you are responsible applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Organize and lead the implementation of all assigned project activities with a focus on financial management systems as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure learning properly accompanies project activities throughout the project cycle. Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and guiding partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences. Analyze implementation challenges and report any inconsistencies and/or gaps to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Coordinate and oversee working relationships with a focus on financial management systems with key local project stakeholders and serve as the liaison between them and the project team to promote project activities and impact. Ensure strong communication with partners, including overseeing financial management improvements, and providing guidance, coaching, and/or training as needed.
- Supervise and perform ad-hoc inspections of various financial management processes and resources at project sites to ensure timely project activities implementation and adherence to established process standards and procedures. Ensure proper tracking of resource use for project activities through periodic budget reviews and follow-up with and assistance to implementing partner.
- Support and coordinate training events focusing on financial management, capacity building and technical support activities to ensure assigned project activities are implemented per project guidelines and standards.
- Prepare various, periodic and ad hoc financial reports, as needed, and perform variance analyses to assist with decision-making and proper management of financial resources.
- Develop partner-specific implementation plans and provide input into Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) and associated documents, including developing technical manuals for partner staff. Support timely implementation of activities with partners through holistic support model.
- Coordinate provision of any logistical and administrative support to staff and partners.
- Provide information to subrecipients and staff on financial accounting policies and procedural compliance issues and contribute to capacity strengthening.
Education and Experience:
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent). Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an international or local NGO, or a financial/banking institution.
- Experience working with partners, participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally internally and externally on financial matters.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data would be considered an advantage.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of ERP financial reporting software preferred.
Required Languages – Greek and English.
Travel – 10% (between Athens and Thessaloniki).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and work with local partners.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies.
- Accuracy and completeness with great attention to detail.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented.
- Ability to work remotely if needed.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Key Working Relationships: Supervisory: None
Internal: CRS Operations staff, CRS Programming staff
External: Caritas Hellas partners, external consultants and service providers.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer; CRS is always looking for qualified, diverse and compelling candidates to join our agency and support our great work.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking.
Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Please note that applications will be continuously reviewed, and CRS reserves the right to close the vacancy before the deadline once a suitable candidate is identified.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested candidates are welcome to apply by sending their CV and Cover Letter in English with email [Για να στείλετε το βιογραφικό σας, κάντε κλικ εδώ.] mentioning in the subject line the title of the position “Senior Project Officer - Capacity Strengthening (Finance)”. The deadline is June 9th, 2022.